Second Skin Audio

Almost zero Subwoofer movement

5 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

So, when the bass hits, the cap turns off? 

No the cap has a auto off display if it doesn't have a change in voltage over a certain amount of time. I turned the gain all the way up and the bass nob all the way up to try to get some movement on an old sub and the cap stayed lit thru bass beats. Its just nowhere near as loud as it should be. Turned the gain all the way back down and bass nob down and had no bass at all. Turned the bass nob all the way up and was back at square one with very little bass or movement. 

So, all the knob is supposed to be used for is to cut the gain. You set your gains with your bass knob all the way up so you know you're not going to introduce clipping into the system.... but that's not you're problem right now. 

So you set your LPF around 80 hz and no change. Do you have another amp you can switch out really quick just to see if it seems right? Does the protect light come on on the amp?

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Yes LPF is at or around 80. Since I tried to go with the "clean" install I added Wire Ferrules to the wire and since they crimped they will not fit into my lower quality amp. So I'm kinda stuck. Yes it is set to Master. I also saw a lot of people on other forums comment about RCAs plugging 1 in and checking. Well I get tone in the sub when either one is plugged in. Does it look ok? Like if I take it to a shop will they tell me some crap excuse? No protect on the amp when gain jacked or anything. 

Here's what's going through my head. I've heard this problem a hundred times with a hundred different solutions. Bad LOC, bad RCA's, crimped or folded RCA's, the RCA connections on the cables are a little rounded off so they're not tight on the connection, some weird setting on the head unit, not enough electrical to support the amp, one little loose wire somewhere(usually the speaker wire on the amp), the amp is bad, the RCA inputs on the amp are bad/ rounded off, the coils on the subs are bad. I'm sure there's even more I'm not thinking of at this moment. To check all that stuff, it could end up taking a while, though not impossible. 

As far as taking it to a shop, they could feed you some bull, or they could look at it and know right away. Just depends in the shop and if they're good people. Do some homework and try to pick a really good shop if you want to go that rout 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived