Second Skin Audio

will adding a sort of "U" shape to increase volume be ok?

CorNut

I'm building a sealed enclosure but can't get the necessary airspace unless I upfire and make a sort of extension on top of the box that'll fit behind the backseat of a truck. Will it be ok to do that? here's a basic example of what I'm thinking, I'm wondering if I can cut some holes in the box where the arrows are and make a sort of U shape that'll tuck behind the seat. It'd sort of be like a handle that goes over the woofer on the box like 2 external ports that connect together. There's not enough room to go ported, I'm doing it purely to get the necessary volume for a sealed enclosure. I hope it makes sense, it's going in a 2012 Tundra double cab which has very little space available to hide an enclosure. I'm guessing it'll work but I want to be certain there's no downside to having 2 separate enclosures sorta connected together. Thanks

20210224_062007.jpg

Generally speaking volume is volume. How much Volume are you going to gain though with the odd shape? sometimes it just isn't worth it for something like 0.2 ft^3.

6 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Generally speaking volume is volume. How much Volume are you going to gain though with the odd shape? sometimes it just isn't worth it for something like 0.2 ft^3.

My drawing is nowhere close to scale. The enclosure is only about 1/3 the recommended (minimum) sealed volume. I can almost double the volume doing what I'm considering. I will be overpowering the sub a bit so I think that'll compensate for it still being undersized even after the modification. The person this is for listens mostly to oldies. He's borrowing a Sundown 10 I have on his backseat until I get the box made for his 8" CompR. The system is nothing special, it's some 6.5 KS components, 6.5 KS coax and the CompR 8. The amps are Walmart specials, a Jensen 4ch and a Jensen mono. It won't be much work to make the box with the added space. The worst part about it is I'll probably have to pull the backseat to install it.

Archived