Sonic Electronix

I watched a dyno of the bamf 3000 and it was awful... I bought a brand new bamf 5000... Hooked it up and I could've turned my gain all the way up and I was just barely getting any power (Just like the dyno on the bamf 3000) ... Then I decided to hook up my stupid "Gain control knob" (Yes that's what it's called on the bamf models.. , its not a "Bass knob" ) .  And I turned it all the way up,, THEN there went my bass. I started POUNDING  compared to what it was without the "Gain control knob" ..... Soo with that experience,  I personally think that Power acoustik bamfs  are simply made different than other amps.. That knob being all the down makes the gain be all the way down... If I turn my gain up to halfway then with my bass knob all the way up.. I'm actually getting that halfway gain level. My uncle runs 250 watts on 2 12s and my lead man at work has 700 watts on 1 12.. Soo I compare my system to their systems.. (They have complete different setups) And I am DESTROYING them believe it or not.. If didnt have 1700rms or around there I wouldnt be killing them like I am.. Basically all I'm saying is I think bamfs need dyno'd with the gain knob in and all the way up.. I want real results

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

I watched a dyno of the bamf 3000 and it was awful... I bought a brand new bamf 5000... Hooked it up and I could've turned my gain all the way up and I was just barely getting any power (Just like the dyno on the bamf 3000) ... Then I decided to hook up my stupid "Gain control knob" (Yes that's what it's called on the bamf models.. , its not a "Bass knob" ) .  And I turned it all the way up,, THEN there went my bass. I started POUNDING  compared to what it was without the "Gain control knob" ..... Soo with that experience,  I personally think that Power acoustik bamfs  are simply made different than other amps.. That knob being all the down makes the gain be all the way down... If I turn my gain up to halfway then with my bass knob all the way up.. I'm actually getting that halfway gain level. My uncle runs 250 watts on 2 12s and my lead man at work has 700 watts on 1 12.. Soo I compare my system to their systems.. (They have complete different setups) And I am DESTROYING them believe it or not.. If didnt have 1700rms or around there I wouldnt be killing them like I am.. Basically all I'm saying is I think bamfs need dyno'd with the gain knob in and all the way up.. I want real results

Gain isn't a volume control. Gain is there to match the voltage the amplifier sees from the head unit. If a person has the gain set too low, yes, there is a definite decrease in output. If a person sets the gain too high, you are introducing distortion and clipping into the system. It might sound louder because of the added distortion, but that's going to ruin a subwoofer. The only ways to truly, 100% know if you're gain is set properly is with an oscilloscope or a distortion detector. You can get close with a digital multimeter, but I'm talking about with 100% certainty. 

That being said, bass knobs are gain controllers. They just call them bass knobs because they are primarily used for bass amplifiers. In my setup, all 5 amps (2 for bass, 3 for mids and highs) will have a "bass knob". If you are going to use a bass knob, you turn your gain down all the way on the amplifier, plug in your knob, turn it all the way up, then set your gains on the amplifier. This ensures you aren't turning your gain up past the distortion/ clipping point, thus protecting your equipment. If you set your gains with the bass knob say half way up, if you turn your bass knob up past halfway, you are easily introducing distortion/ clipping into the system. Depending in how much, sooner or later, your subs will fail. 

I fear that that extra power you got when you plugged in the gain controller isn't clean. I wish you had an oscilloscope so you could see. How exactly did you go about setting your gains? You might have mentioned that in a previous thread, but I forgot. Sorry. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Gain isn't a volume control. Gain is there to match the voltage the amplifier sees from the head unit. If a person has the gain set too low, yes, there is a definite decrease in output. If a person sets the gain too high, you are introducing distortion and clipping into the system. It might sound louder because of the added distortion, but that's going to ruin a subwoofer. The only ways to truly, 100% know if you're gain is set properly is with an oscilloscope or a distortion detector. You can get close with a digital multimeter, but I'm talking about with 100% certainty. 

That being said, bass knobs are gain controllers. They just call them bass knobs because they are primarily used for bass amplifiers. In my setup, all 5 amps (2 for bass, 3 for mids and highs) will have a "bass knob". If you are going to use a bass knob, you turn your gain down all the way on the amplifier, plug in your knob, turn it all the way up, then set your gains on the amplifier. This ensures you aren't turning your gain up past the distortion/ clipping point, thus protecting your equipment. If you set your gains with the bass knob say half way up, if you turn your bass knob up past halfway, you are easily introducing distortion/ clipping into the system. Depending in how much, sooner or later, your subs will fail. 

I fear that that extra power you got when you plugged in the gain controller isn't clean. I wish you had an oscilloscope so you could see. How exactly did you go about setting your gains? You might have mentioned that in a previous thread, but I forgot. Sorry. 

I used 1700rms x 2ohms = 3400 squared  = 58.3 volts ..I put my head unit to the max volume I ever put it at (a lil over halfway) I went to YouTube put on -3db sonic electronix 50hz test tone with my "gain control knob" all the way up..Note...  I never touch that knob I leave it all the way up.. And I set my gains just under 58.3 volts using AC voltage on a multimeter ... And before I put that "gain control knob" in the bass was just sad.. Like  disappointing.. 

So you set your gains once using that mathematical equation without the bass knob and it was disappointing. Then you started over from step one with the bass knob connected and turned all the way up and you goin a ton more output? 

The huge thing is that you completely started over from square one after you pluged the knob in and it was turned all the way up before you started. If you didn't start all the way over, you could be feeding the amp too much and clipping. 

The thing about using a multimeter is yeah, the math supports the output to be converted into watts. But what if your head unit is putting out less voltage than the amount you need adjusting your gain to achieve the desired wattage? Then you'd be clipping your subs to hell and you really wouldn't even know it. 

I'm not trying to call you a liar, or tell you your wrong. Truth is, I don't know. I'm not there with you testing this amp and I definitely didn't build it. But, to be in the safe side, I would invest in an oscilloscope. You can find them for not a whole lot of money on Amazon. Exo has a great video on his YouTube channel showing you exactly how to use the oscilloscope to set your gains to your head unit and any other devices you have in the mix (eq's, dsp's and what not). A DD-1 is an awesome tool, but it's expensive. Super easy to use though, and quick! 

11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So you set your gains once using that mathematical equation without the bass knob and it was disappointing. Then you started over from step one with the bass knob connected and turned all the way up and you goin a ton more output? 

The huge thing is that you completely started over from square one after you pluged the knob in and it was turned all the way up before you started. If you didn't start all the way over, you could be feeding the amp too much and clipping. 

The thing about using a multimeter is yeah, the math supports the output to be converted into watts. But what if your head unit is putting out less voltage than the amount you need adjusting your gain to achieve the desired wattage? Then you'd be clipping your subs to hell and you really wouldn't even know it. 

I'm not trying to call you a liar, or tell you your wrong. Truth is, I don't know. I'm not there with you testing this amp and I definitely didn't build it. But, to be in the safe side, I would invest in an oscilloscope. You can find them for not a whole lot of money on Amazon. Exo has a great video on his YouTube channel showing you exactly how to use the oscilloscope to set your gains to your head unit and any other devices you have in the mix (eq's, dsp's and what not). A DD-1 is an awesome tool, but it's expensive. Super easy to use though, and quick! 

I wish someone could test these amps again.. I truly believe I'm right. and theres no way for anyone to know unless someone finally does it the right way.. (i think bamfs REQUIRE the bass knob ) ppl testing may not know that.. Anyways I forgot to mention I did not set my gains using multimeter at first.... I just turned it up to half to start and it was barely beating then I turned it to 3/4 and it had a thump but nothing like it shouldve.. that's when the bass knob got involved and I started reading more into it... After the bass knob got turned up I was slamming... Then after sum research i learned how to set my gains properly with a multimeter and i did it.. 

9 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

I wish someone could test these amps again.. I truly believe I'm right. and theres no way for anyone to know unless someone finally does it the right way.. (i may bamfs REQUIRE the bass knob ) ppl testing may not know that.. Anyways I forgot to mention I did not set my gains using multimeter at first.... I just turned it up to half to start and it was barely beating then I turned it to 3/4 and it had a thump but nothing like it shouldve.. that's when the bass knob got involved and I started reading more into it... After the bass knob got turned up I was slamming... Then after sum research i learned how to set my gains properly with a multimeter and i did it.. 

You can prove it. All you need is an oscilloscope and a clamp multimeter. An oscilloscope to prove the signal isn't clipping and a clamp (and a little mathematical equation) to see how many watts you're feeding your subs. 

44 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

You can prove it. All you need is an oscilloscope and a clamp multimeter. An oscilloscope to prove the signal isn't clipping and a clamp (and a little mathematical equation) to see how many watts you're feeding your subs. 

About where do those price at? (Cheapest I can get thatll work good enough) 

12 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

I wish someone could test these amps again.. I truly believe I'm right. and theres no way for anyone to know unless someone finally does it the right way.. (i think bamfs REQUIRE the bass knob ) ppl testing may not know that.. Anyways I forgot to mention I did not set my gains using multimeter at first.... I just turned it up to half to start and it was barely beating then I turned it to 3/4 and it had a thump but nothing like it shouldve.. that's when the bass knob got involved and I started reading more into it... After the bass knob got turned up I was slamming... Then after sum research i learned how to set my gains properly with a multimeter and i did it.. 

are you referring to adjusting the gain on the amp before you actually plugged in and adjusted the bass knob that’s included? 

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Then yes, that makes compete sense. The gain in the amp controls the power output, whereas the bass knob(also called gain control) applies it at said time. I fully assume anytime they are dynoed, these are turned up as the dyno operator should know the capabilities of said amp. But why you call it a stupid piece, I do not know. You should’ve known the known what was required to run the amp when you bought it. Many many amps come with knobs, and some do not. 

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Archived