Sundown Audio

clamping my bamf today

Anthony10111

5 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

So I was told I can get a cheap AC amp clamp to clamp on my speaker wire to see what shes really pulling... Is that fine ? will that tell me if I'm pushing my 1700 watts  or around there?

So I’m not sure if you want help or just want to create posts. I gave you the exact instructions on how to do

this. Google “clamping amplifier output” and you’ll see the exact step by step I gave you. What is our disconnect here?

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Yes. Amp clamp, cheap or not, is reading the electric field generated by the wire when current flows through it. 

To find power you need a multi meter and amp clamp. Do two tests.

First use the multi meter set to ohms and connect to speaker terminal. Run a frequency sweep at low volume to look for lowest/ideal resistance after box rise. Record resistance and frequency then switch the dmm to ac voltage and grab the amp clap.

Make sure the clamp is turned on and set to ac current. Clamp around the positive speaker wire as close to the amp as possible with the display facing the amplifer. If you have two positive wires, clamp them both. Now do a few burps.

Low volume and play your test tone and roll up the volume slowly til you hear distortion or clip light then roll off the volume. Record the highest volts and highest amps.

Multiple volts times ampers to get watts.

16 minutes ago, JakeW said:

So I’m not sure if you want help or just want to create posts. I gave you the exact instructions on how to do

this. Google “clamping amplifier output” and you’ll see the exact step by step I gave you. What is our disconnect here?

I was asking if AC amps is good... Lol I have no problem with you you've done nothing but help

1 hour ago, Anthony10111 said:

I was asking if AC amps is good... Lol I have no problem with you you've done nothing but help

Sooooo..... did you clamp it

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

10 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

So I was told I can get a cheap AC amp clamp to clamp on my speaker wire to see what shes really pulling... Is that fine ? will that tell me if I'm pushing my 1700 watts  or around there?

No where near. That amp doesn’t even do 1700 rms at 1 ohm. No need to even clamp that amp now. You bought a better amp. No worries or money wasting.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

I ordered a smart 3 and didnt get my ride to harbor freight 

It’s not smart to run a smart 3 on stock electrical. So buy an extra battery before hooking it up if you don’t want to cause risk to that amp. You are gonna spend more money on an extra battery than that amp to get the close to the correct amount of battery reserve you need. And of course you are still gonna need an alternator soon too. Look into a shuriken bt-140. It’s an 140ah agm and the cheapest good big battery. When battery shopping, make sure you look at the “ah” (amp hours). You are gonna spend around $350 on a battery. There is no way around it. If you try to cheap out on feeding a taramps, then you are causing risk since taramps are sensitive to weak electrical and clipping.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

6 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

DAMN! $350 FOR 140 AH AGM BATTERY! Where was that battery 5 years ago when I spent $1500 on 2 80 ah AGM batteries lol. Oh well, that's why I went lithium

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived