Second Skin Audio

Suggestions

So I figured this would be the best place to talk and ask questions. I am looking into getting a new 12. I at first was going to get a skar zvxv2 12d2. I've had w6s, a ton of type rs, l7s, punches p2/3. Anyways. I want to go bigger  more spl but I have a 3series bmw with not much space so I didn't want to go up to 15. I looked into RF T1 but my amp already is too much by 1200watts at 1ohm.  I really wanted to go Hcca but I can't find one. So I'm really leaving towards a ds18 exl-xxb-12d2. In a single 12 what do you all reccomends or does anyone have any insight on the 12s I have listed. I would love a sundown x12 but Im trying not to spend that much. My box is 2.2cf tuned at 30hz. I want something that can take power and give it back and not be prone to easy frying. I had horrible luck with both p2s and p3s. 

Those skar subs aren't bad. I don't think you'd be disappointed. 

You could also look into the FI 3.5 subs. The box it about the right size, but it can take a bit more power than 1200 watts. A little more expensive at $470 a piece, but hand built in the USA and customizable. Not to mention I've never heard anyone complain about the power handling or the sound quality from an FI sub. But with any system, the number 1 cause of frying a sub is not tuning the amp properly. What kind of amp is it? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

It's a Rockville phenom. The cea burst sheet says around 1150 rms at 1ohm. It's not the best, by far. Halfway up -3/4 not even playing all the way up and it goes into protect constantly. and I'm going to be upgrading that as well, I had gotten it to replace my old jl 500.1. for temporary. Those Fi subs look awesome. I was also looking at the audio legion stuff too. I personally haven't heard or felt with skar so hearing that on here makes me.feel a little better. 

42 minutes ago, SQUIDzilla said:

It's a Rockville phenom. The cea burst sheet says around 1150 rms at 1ohm. It's not the best, by far. Halfway up -3/4 not even playing all the way up and it goes into protect constantly. and I'm going to be upgrading that as well, I had gotten it to replace my old jl 500.1. for temporary. Those Fi subs look awesome. I was also looking at the audio legion stuff too. I personally haven't heard or felt with skar so hearing that on here makes me.feel a little better. 

Rockville is being sued for lying out their ass about power ratings. I'd bet big money you're JL is putting out much more, CLEAN wattage. 

Also, you're gain knob position has nothing to do with anything. Your gain is to match the output voltage of your head unit. You could have it turned an eighth of the way up and it be up to high, depending on your head unit. And if it's too high, you're clipping your subs to death.... add on the fact that you can't trust a damn thing Rockville says.... yeah, recipe for disaster. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But the only way you can ensure you're getting clean wattage out if that amp is with an oscilloscope or a distortion detector like the DD-1

Ok, I'm not going to front, I just watched big D wizz video of that phenom 1500 watt amp. I'm surprised! It didn't do 1500 verified, but it did do 1500 watts to clipping. So, now the number one thing to worry about is setting your gains properly. We know at 1 ohm, 14.3 volts, that amp is clean to about 1200 watts. 

The jl is years years old. It kept blowing the mosfets and having a grounding issue in circuit. I've been out of the car audio thing for a few years. That video was the only reason I bought it when I did. I'm a mechanic so I have an autel maxisys scanner with the ocilliscope add on. It's been a while, but at the very least I'm very mechanically/electrically inclined. I haven't had anything burn up since high school, probably due to being 18 and clueless. I'm attempting a spl single 12 build I guess you might say. 

Nice! Are you going to tune the port of the enclosure to the resonate frequency of the car to compete? Our just competing for fun to see what you can do? 

Just for fun. I love music, learning new stuff and building stuff. This car is just my work daily. I may over the summer  pickup a fi 15 for my other car. I ended up just going with the skar zvx I had Amazon gift credit and skar has their own store so I paid 230$ shipped. 

Man, I've got 4 12" FI Q subs just sitting in my garage. They're driving me crazy! The goal is to get them installed and my truck done before Christmas. Roadblock after roadblock after roadblock lol. 

I feel you on the Amazon thing. If you ever need to return it, it's easier than shit! Can't go wrong with that. 

Archived