6x9 suggestions

DizzleDizzle

Lmao thats dope maybe I need to send my wife in to do the negotiating at the dealer.

There is a pretty good show called hacking the system that has a segment about negotiating with car salesmen to get the beat deal possible. If you havent seen it I think you may be able to catch the bootleg on YT and its pretty entertaining if not informative.

So on the trunk strut situation its going on the back burner for now. I figured out I'll need a 6 inch strut with a 8 inch stroke. Yea those dont exist 🤣 so until I figure out a better mounting method that wont take up all the trunk space I'm back to looking for new 6x9s. Also interesting tidbit I found out the trunk torsion bar removal and installation on this car requires trunk removal, rear deck removal, rear seat removal, hinge removal and in some cases removal of rear glass and from what I read online some dealerships wont even perform the repair on these buicks... Bunch of p*****s. I'll be in it like I know what I'm doing once I figure out a game plan.

Anyways I think I may want to try the punch series 6×9s I'm going to see if I can figure out magnet size on them and if its acceptable I'll probably order a set. Anyone here use them?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would just raise them the 3/4" if you can. I'm the type of person once I find a sound I like, I'll do whatever I need to in order to keep the speaker, not take the chance and buy a different speaker lol. That's just me though

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Ah its just rear fill. I'd rather change them out than deal with hacking up the rear deck and mounting them in it to get them raised.

Plus the sound isn't all that great I just think they are dope because they are old and possibly vintage. They aren't bad sounding either just not great enough to outweigh the problems that come with them. Definitely changing them out with something that fits I cant stand the rattle from third break light being pushed into the back window anymore its pretty annoying so I just leave the bass all the way down most of the time.

12 hours ago, DizzleDizzle said:

Ah its just rear fill. I'd rather change them out than deal with hacking up the rear deck and mounting them in it to get them raised.

Plus the sound isn't all that great I just think they are dope because they are old and possibly vintage. They aren't bad sounding either just not great enough to outweigh the problems that come with them. Definitely changing them out with something that fits I cant stand the rattle from third break light being pushed into the back window anymore its pretty annoying so I just leave the bass all the way down most of the time.

Well, fosgate has some good ×9's. The best sounding ×9's I've ever owned where pioneer, though that was over 15 years ago lol. I had a set of Boston acoustic ones that where really nice as well. But like I said, I've never owned a set of 6×9's since like...2002 maybe lol

Lol yea same man I had some pioneer ones someone had given me I passed them on to my brother in law other than that the set in my car now is the first set I've had in years.

I wish I could find the specs for those forgate ones online all I'm finding for them is mounting depth.

I read in a review on amazon that someone said they have smaller magnets and looking at the pics I posted the motors on them do look slightly smaller but I'd hate to have to guess and end up being wrong and stuck with a second set that doesnt fit. Or hassled with having to return them.

On a more positive note I am almost done with my fiberglass tweeter pods and that much closer to having enough photos to be comfortable with posting a build thread.

2 hours ago, DizzleDizzle said:

Lol yea same man I had some pioneer ones someone had given me I passed them on to my brother in law other than that the set in my car now is the first set I've had in years.

I wish I could find the specs for those forgate ones online all I'm finding for them is mounting depth.

I read in a review on amazon that someone said they have smaller magnets and looking at the pics I posted the motors on them do look slightly smaller but I'd hate to have to guess and end up being wrong and stuck with a second set that doesnt fit. Or hassled with having to return them.

On a more positive note I am almost done with my fiberglass tweeter pods and that much closer to having enough photos to be comfortable with posting a build thread.

Did you try downloading the owner's manual of the 6×9's? That might be in there. 

I was thinking of fiberglassing my speaker pods in the doors myself.... it looks like too much lol. I'm going to see if I can get them done. 4 8's and 4 tweeters in each door might be a little more than I can handle being that I've never done it lol. 

I'm waiting on that thread man! 

You got it man glass is messy af but easy to do. If you do need help though let me know I'm pretty good with glass. No pro by any means but I've been doing it for years from a pillars to enclosures and alot of stuff in between. 

Heres some pics of the tweeter pods im working on now they still arent done but getting there.

Also I'll try downloading the manual thats a good idea.

20210320_133821_HDR.jpg

20210321_133245.jpg

20210322_175333_HDR.jpg

20210323_143438_HDR.jpg

Archived