6x9 suggestions

DizzleDizzle

I'm looking for suggestions on a decent set of 6x9s for rear fill.

I have 3 requirements.

1. I am looking for something capable of some decent midbass. 

2. Magnet size cant be too big. I replaced the factory 6x9s with a set of pretty dope off brand/vintage 6x9s I found marked down in a radio shack that was like a portal into the past. Only problem when you close trunk the torsion springs hit the larger magnets and flexes the rear deck/package tray upwards causing a bunch of hideous sounding vibration when bass hits.

I'm going to upgrade to gas shocks for trunk eventually and remove torsion springs but for now I need a different set of rear mids.

3. My budget is tight I have a hundred dollar bill I can blow on these.😳

Maybe 120 max if I skip a meal or 2 and walk to work a couple days in a row. 🤣

The amp I will be using to power them is a rockford fosgate punch p600x4 which puts out about 75 watts rms per channel. So maybe that will come into consideration in the final decision making... Maybe not 😁

Any and all suggestions appreciated friends.✌

If you like those ones you have now, and gas shocks will fix the fitment issue, I would spend that money on gas shocks. Good speakers have bigger motors. You might not even be able to find good ones that will fit anyway. 

That sucks about your finger dude! Heal up quick! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The only thing that has kept me from doing the trunk strut install is I have no idea how to figure out what size of struts I need. I'm a little scared of butchering it.

Too long or mount in wrong spot trunk wont close. Too short and I'm guessing trunk wont open all the way. I can get in my head and overthink things too much sometimes. Thats whats really keeping me from doing the job. 

29 minutes ago, DizzleDizzle said:

The only thing that has kept me from doing the trunk strut install is I have no idea how to figure out what size of struts I need. I'm a little scared of butchering it.

Too long or mount in wrong spot trunk wont close. Too short and I'm guessing trunk wont open all the way. I can get in my head and overthink things too much sometimes. Thats whats really keeping me from doing the job. 

Have you checked YouTube for a video? I swear they have everything! Lol

I have they have tons of videos. All about replacing and installing new ones where they already exist. It's not a very common mod if people do it at all lol.

I found a couple threads about the mod in some honda forums but seems like they have the same problems I'm trying to avoid one guy said his struts were way too powerful and he couldn't keep hia trunk all the way closed another said it takes some finessimg to make sure you drill in the right spot. According to what I read online you need to know the weight of the panel as well as some other parameters to get correct strength of struts then I need to know length I need not only extemded but also compressed. Since I am probably the first to ever do this mod on a older buick lesabre I will have to just wing it. Do the ole trial and error method.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have my wife shut me in the trunk with a flashlight and tape measure. Bet my neighbors will get a kick out of that. 🤣

Fuck it, take them off and prop the hood open with a 2×4 lol. Yeah dude, that sounds very involved and easy to screw up. Maybe it would be easier just to move the mounting holes for the 6×9s?

Maybe. Idk it was a process getting those 6x9s in took over half the day. Well getting the package tray is what took so much time I finally learned that I had to have the trunk open to get the tray back in because with it ahut it was moving the 6x9s and sheet metal around them making the fitment impossible.

Its very tight fitment.

I'm going to get the measurements today for the struts then go to parts store and see what they have or if i have to order. I also got a new intake in today so im going to be swapping that then I have to order engine mounts again 😠 I think hard shifting of the tranny caused the first set I replaced to go bad but now that I've fixed tranny I'm hoping they will be ok.

Just an old beater that I'm sprucing up for my wife trying to make sure its reliable for long road trips. 

I dont even have a car right now but I'm in the process of trying to get a newish Silverado just sold my expedition. Kinda nervous this will be my first time ever buying a vehicle that I couldn't just pay cash for out right. I hate the idea of having payments and possibility of repo hanging over my head. 

The best advice I could give you is try and put as much as you can down to keep your payments as low as possible. And whatever the first payments are they give you, they can do better. 

I HATE buying cars! I hate haggling. Tell me what you want for the vehicle, and I'll tell you yes or no. Haggling is so stupid! 

Funny story....

My wife and I had just had our first daughter, so she was maybe 6 months old. Her mini cooper wasn't going to cut it (her, the baby, a chihuahua, an English mastiff, and me lol) not to mention it died and I didn't want to pay $2000 to fix it. We couldn't put the baby in my truck because my subwoofers (a whole different long story lol) 

Anyway, (after going other places) we went to the Ford dealership. She liked the Ford explorer (2018). Talking numbers, and our heads are starting spin and my wife is getting very impatient. Madison starts to cry. My wife goes into full mom mode and starts walking out. The guy says "what can we do to keep you here?" My wife turns around and says $27,000 down, $300 a month. No APR." Dude goes and talks to his boss. Comes back and says no problem. After that, my daughter went to sleep and didn't wake up until after all the paperwork was done 🤣

My wife and I did the math. They wanted $50,000 for the truck. We're got it for $45,000 with a no interest loan. 

Archived