Needing some advice. I have 3 skar audio evl8d2 in a ported box. Single chamber. Ran calculations through 12volt for tuning to 36hz. They said port needed to be 2x6x4.6. I have a funny feeling that that is no where big enough. Can someone with a little more experience look at the measurements and tell me what the proper port size should be? Box size is 31x15x16 with 3/4 birch.

Screenshot_20210315-103314_Gallery.jpg

20210315_195545.jpg

That port is way too small. You should be looking at between 12-16 sq in of port are per cubic foot of box volume. I'm at 24.5 sq inch of port area for my 2 8's and it's just a tad too small. I am assuming you entered in the size of the port you wanted to build because that website and calculator allow you to enter the values. It's not telling you the size. It "blindly" gives you the length based on the parameters you tell it. 

Another thing that I'm assuming you didnt allow for is deducting the port area and length (so again cubic ft) from the box volume. Your port volume is quite small so it probably didn't make much of a difference. I'm sure there are a few other guys that could weigh in on this (I'd consider myself a noob for box design and building but I think most of what I have said is true)

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

That port is way too small. And you aren’t understanding 12volt measuring, you inputed gross volume instead of net volume, a port has volume itself and would tune that gross volume you calculated to a smaller volume, called a net volume. You enter a net volume into that port calculator. And you are not understand recommendations in reference to sizing. You put the port size recommendation of one subwoofer on 3 subwoofers, you should of tripled it. But even if you listen to recommendations and calculate correctly doesn’t mean that’s the best enclosure. It’ll be a decent to good enclosure. But not the best. The only way to design the best enclosure on a setup is to calculate the subwoofers parameter in reference to the rms of whatever amp you are using. So with that said, recommendations are just a safe call and not always the best call. Because rms changes the enclosure and port sizing and the parameters determine the sizing too. So the ONLY way to make a custom enclosure best to fit your car audio set up is to calculate the subwoofers and amp, in laymen terms. I can help you so you can get that crap out your trunk and turn it into something loud and sexy. Because a super small port like that smothers output and isn’t loud. Just let me know if you are trying to get loud.

Edited by 1point21gigawatts
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

On 3/25/2021 at 7:47 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

That port is way too small. And you aren’t understanding 12volt measuring, you inputed gross volume instead of net volume, a port has volume itself and would tune that gross volume you calculated to a smaller volume, called a net volume. You enter a net volume into that port calculator. And you are not understand recommendations in reference to sizing. You put the port size recommendation of one subwoofer on 3 subwoofers, you should of tripled it. But even if you listen to recommendations and calculate correctly doesn’t mean that’s the best enclosure. It’ll be a decent to good enclosure. But not the best. The only way to design the best enclosure on a setup is to calculate the subwoofers parameter in reference to the rms of whatever amp you are using. So with that said, recommendations are just a safe call and not always the best call. Because rms changes the enclosure and port sizing and the parameters determine the sizing too. So the ONLY way to make a custom enclosure best to fit your car audio set up is to calculate the subwoofers and amp, in laymen terms. I can help you so you can get that crap out your trunk and turn it into something loud and sexy. Because a super small port like that smothers output and isn’t loud. Just let me know if you are trying to get loud.

I'd appreciate the help. I obviously don't understand box specs and building quite like I thought I did. Lol. Any help with box and port design would be great. Ive got about 37x16x16 to play with for space.