Second Skin Audio

frequency range vs response

All that changes once you put them into an enclosure. 

Usually, people tend to set their low pass filter to 80-90 hz and their high pass filter, or subsonic filter, to half an octave below the tuning of the enclosure

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 minute ago, Dafaseles said:

All that changes once you put them into an enclosure. 

Usually, people tend to set their low pass filter to 80-90 hz and their high pass filter, or subsonic filter, to half an octave below the tuning of the enclosure

My subs recommended tuning is 32hz and my box is actually a prefab tuned to 32 hz... Let's say I put a -3db test tone on... How low can they handle it? Cuz that seems to me where I would want to set my subsonic at.. 

If the box tuning is 32, one whole octave is half that (16). Half of 16 is 8. 16+8=24. Slo I would set it at 24. And if everything is set correctly, a -3 db test tone at 24 hz.... no clipping.... you're subs will be fine. Though I don't think I'd recommend just blasting test tones at your subs. Unless you're competing

18 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

If the box tuning is 32, one whole octave is half that (16). Half of 16 is 8. 16+8=24. Slo I would set it at 24. And if everything is set correctly, a -3 db test tone at 24 hz.... no clipping.... you're subs will be fine. Though I don't think I'd recommend just blasting test tones at your subs. Unless you're competing

How high can my subs go? 250 or 400??? frequency response vs range..

So those parameters are usually calculated with the speaker being free air. All those things change once the speaker is put into an enclosure. But usually a 6.5" or 8" can reproduce sound above 80hz better and more efficiently that a huge subwoofer can. That's why we usually set our low pass filter below 100hz, the vast majority of the time, 80-90 hz

Archived