Sonic Electronix

4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

What I think I would do in that situation (I've never been in a position to use head unit crossovers. In just going off what I've read and seen others say about their experiences) is if I where to use the head unit, I think I would just put the amplifier in full so the amplifiers slope won't get in the way of the head units customizable slope. The amplifier shouldn't even see those undesirable tones coming from the head unit in the first place. Although, I've read people setting both the same. Technically, if your amp has a -12db slope, and you set your head unit to -24 db, the -24 db slope would be a lot steeper, so your amplifier wouldn't even have "time" for the -12db to even work. If you use both, that's just extra protection I guess. 

Just curious, what head unit are you using? 

Im using the alpine ilx w650. Like i said, running off Android auto which will be my primary use of signal it has no distortion even at max. I know this changes depending of other sources. So youre saying if you were me youd just leave the amp hpf at the lowest setting and just use the headunit? Guess i could try that and see if I get that clipping noise. I may not even mess with it at all it doesnt sound too bad i just wish id get a but more bass from mid range since as i stated before sometimes i dont want to rumble with the bass

16 hours ago, RageTheWicked said:

Im using the alpine ilx w650. Like i said, running off Android auto which will be my primary use of signal it has no distortion even at max. I know this changes depending of other sources. So youre saying if you were me youd just leave the amp hpf at the lowest setting and just use the headunit? Guess i could try that and see if I get that clipping noise. I may not even mess with it at all it doesnt sound too bad i just wish id get a but more bass from mid range since as i stated before sometimes i dont want to rumble with the bass

Well, if it sounds fine, I wouldn't mess with it. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like your mids can't handle that low sound you'd want. The only thing I can think of to fix that is to maybe step it up to a 3 way front stage. The dedicated mid bass should get you decently low. Also, it helps the sound deaden the door. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, Dafaseles said:

Well, if it sounds fine, I wouldn't mess with it. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like your mids can't handle that low sound you'd want. The only thing I can think of to fix that is to maybe step it up to a 3 way front stage. The dedicated mid bass should get you decently low. Also, it helps the sound deaden the door. 

Sorry i was gone. But thanks for all your help she's been sounding great. The one thing i need help on is the gain offset. It say -10 for louder but its actually making it lower right? Or how does it work?

On 4/3/2021 at 11:13 PM, RageTheWicked said:

Sorry i was gone. But thanks for all your help she's been sounding great. The one thing i need help on is the gain offset. It say -10 for louder but its actually making it lower right? Or how does it work?

How can I explain this best...

So, let's say you're setting your gain using a 0db test track (they're not called that, but let's just say for the sake of argument). The test tone you're using would be just a normal test tone. Now, say your setting your gains at -5 db. The test tone would be quieter (about 5 db quieter), therefore you'd have to set your gains higher to compensate. I hope that made sense

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived