Sonic Electronix

I got a dd1 and a cc1. I got a alpine ilx-650 it didnt distort even at max volume 35 out of 35. I even changed the setting on headunit to make sure using bass boost eq etc. With it flat i can go to max volume. I set my subs to 80 hz and the subsonic filter. But when i go to tune my 4 channel the cc1 does not detect calibration. I want to use my skar tx65c fronts and my tx65 coaxials rear to play as mid range or band pass instead of high pass. The amp is a skar 75.4. I dont know whether i should tune to hpf full or lpf/bp I dont want to fully disable mid range because when i turn off subwoofer i get no low end at 125 hz and sometimes you just wanna ride with an 8 year old boy without blowing his ears off with subwoofer vibrations

Well, I would just use the high pass filter. Set it that way. I don't know what frequency you want to set them at, but let's say it's 90hz, that will play everything above 90 hz up until 20,000 hz (at least that's the highest the human ear can hear anyway). You have to switch the controller to HPF. If it's on full, the crossover controls won't work at all

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Well, I would just use the high pass filter. Set it that way. I don't know what frequency you want to set them at, but let's say it's 90hz, that will play everything above 90 hz up until 20,000 hz (at least that's the highest the human ear can hear anyway). You have to switch the controller to HPF. If it's on full, the crossover controls won't work at all

Ok but its my first system and my first tune. After reading some stuff i keep reading about blends using slopes. So if i set my subwoofers to 80 hz what slope would i use for the mids and highs? The manual only shows 100 hz at -24 db and 125 at -12. I retuned it to 100 hz ran the slope at -24db and also ive read about hu lpf and hpf. Mine doesnt have a off so where should i set that to when i tune using the cc1?

Mr personality wouldn't use the crossover on the head unit. Only because I never have. I talked to a ton of people who do use it and swear by it. If you don't use the head unit crossover, just set it to full. 

If you want to learn, this video helped me out a lot with the basics

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Mr personality wouldn't use the crossover on the head unit. Only because I never have. I talked to a ton of people who do use it and swear by it. If you don't use the head unit crossover, just set it to full. 

If you want to learn, this video helped me out a lot with the basics

Well he explained the slope. But my amp either with or without an overlap starts.clipping my speakers horribly. Way before i even get to no distortion max volume. The only way ive found that removes this is by adding the slope. But ive heard using ano crossover and headunit crossover can introducing a type of clipping. Cc1 says do everything to flat. Flat on the xover is only 80hz for front rear and sub. So thats what i tune the amp with. I read people say to raise the xover all the way up if there is no off and i read people say use the lowest. So which one should i use?

So, what it means by set everything to flat means all EQ settings set to flat and all bass boost flat (off). It doesn't have anything to do with the actual crossover settings yet. 

How I would do it is off my head unit, if I had specific crossover settings like a high pass filter for certain outputs or a low pass filter for the sub.... so on and so forth... I would set those to full. Why I would do that is to ensure I have a full range of sound (at the very least 20 hz to 20,000 hz) coming out of my head unit and feeding that to my amplifier. On my amplifier, let's say an RP-75.4AB, I would set the switch to HPF and set my crossover around 85-90 hz. At that point, your slope would kick in and that amp I'm guessing has a 12 db slope. 

Here's a question, how are you manipulating your slope? 

As far as your speakers clipping, they shouldn't be. Those speakers should be able to handle that amp. If it's actual clipping, your gain isn't set correctly or you're turning up your volume too high on your head unit or your music source (phone hooked to your head unit for example. I don't know how you listen to your music). Now if it's actually distortion, that could be because your crossover settings aren't set correctly and you're sending too low of a signal to the speakers and they can't handle it at high volumes. 

12 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, what it means by set everything to flat means all EQ settings set to flat and all bass boost flat (off). It doesn't have anything to do with the actual crossover settings yet. 

How I would do it is off my head unit, if I had specific crossover settings like a high pass filter for certain outputs or a low pass filter for the sub.... so on and so forth... I would set those to full. Why I would do that is to ensure I have a full range of sound (at the very least 20 hz to 20,000 hz) coming out of my head unit and feeding that to my amplifier. On my amplifier, let's say an RP-75.4AB, I would set the switch to HPF and set my crossover around 85-90 hz. At that point, your slope would kick in and that amp I'm guessing has a 12 db slope. 

Here's a question, how are you manipulating your slope? 

As far as your speakers clipping, they shouldn't be. Those speakers should be able to handle that amp. If it's actual clipping, your gain isn't set correctly or you're turning up your volume too high on your head unit or your music source (phone hooked to your head unit for example. I don't know how you listen to your music). Now if it's actually distortion, that could be because your crossover settings aren't set correctly and you're sending too low of a signal to the speakers and they can't handle it at high volumes. 

Well thats what im about. I've read two rules of thumb. On the head unit set the xover the highest it can go. And ive also read to set it to the lowest it can go. The gain on the amp is set with the dd1 at -10. Which on my headunit using android auto as it will be the main source of sound it can go to 35/35 without distortion. And just to make sure i was doing it correctly i messed with the gains to get it to turn on which it did. I dont believe the speakers are damaged as i can hear sound perfectly clear as long as i set the xover on the headunit to -24db 100hz and on the amp set to hpf no bass boost 100 hz as well. Then i dont hear that ugly clipping noise like the woofer is bottoming out. Without the hu being set it distorts. Either i blew my speakers out or the amp doesnt have a built in slope which i wouldn't know how much it would be as the manual doesnt state anything besides -3db. I just want to make sure i get the most out of my sound. I tried it at 35/35 and it was unbearably loud so it will be rare when i have it that loud unless some kid pulls up and starts raising his volume and my ego needs it. But without the headunit on a slope it distorts and sounds like its bottoming out at 15, 16/35 with the exhaust drone thats barely anything.

3 hours ago, RageTheWicked said:

Well thats what im about. I've read two rules of thumb. On the head unit set the xover the highest it can go. And ive also read to set it to the lowest it can go. The gain on the amp is set with the dd1 at -10. Which on my headunit using android auto as it will be the main source of sound it can go to 35/35 without distortion. And just to make sure i was doing it correctly i messed with the gains to get it to turn on which it did. I dont believe the speakers are damaged as i can hear sound perfectly clear as long as i set the xover on the headunit to -24db 100hz and on the amp set to hpf no bass boost 100 hz as well. Then i dont hear that ugly clipping noise like the woofer is bottoming out. Without the hu being set it distorts. Either i blew my speakers out or the amp doesnt have a built in slope which i wouldn't know how much it would be as the manual doesnt state anything besides -3db. I just want to make sure i get the most out of my sound. I tried it at 35/35 and it was unbearably loud so it will be rare when i have it that loud unless some kid pulls up and starts raising his volume and my ego needs it. But without the headunit on a slope it distorts and sounds like its bottoming out at 15, 16/35 with the exhaust drone thats barely anything.

If you're going to use the slope feature on your head unit, then you need to use the crossovers on your head unit as well. If you set the head unit to full, you won't have anything to slope. I've talked to tons of people who prefer the head unit crossovers over the amp. A lot say it's better, more precise, and easier. 

Most amps have a 12 db slope for their crossovers. Some are 24 db, but if you can't find anything about the slope of that amp (I couldn't find anything either) I'd just assume it's 12 db. 

I don't think you blew the speakers. Just, when they play to low of a note, they unload, become inefficient, and exceed their mechanical limits causing distortion. If you use a steeper slope, that low note will roll off quicker, if the speaker even sees it at all. Or you would just have to tune your crossover higher. 

9 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

If you're going to use the slope feature on your head unit, then you need to use the crossovers on your head unit as well. If you set the head unit to full, you won't have anything to slope. I've talked to tons of people who prefer the head unit crossovers over the amp. A lot say it's better, more precise, and easier. 

Most amps have a 12 db slope for their crossovers. Some are 24 db, but if you can't find anything about the slope of that amp (I couldn't find anything either) I'd just assume it's 12 db. 

I don't think you blew the speakers. Just, when they play to low of a note, they unload, become inefficient, and exceed their mechanical limits causing distortion. If you use a steeper slope, that low note will roll off quicker, if the speaker even sees it at all. Or you would just have to tune your crossover higher. 

So assuming id go the HU route would I leave the amp at the lowest or still use the 100 hz on both the amp and the headunit? And so you would also recommend i use -12 db on the headunit and the amp since they add up?( Assuming it is -12 and i test it out and find no distortion) i just use the headunit set at -24 since thats what the dd1 and cc1 manual says is the main "recommended" or most commonly used slope for 100 hz

What I think I would do in that situation (I've never been in a position to use head unit crossovers. In just going off what I've read and seen others say about their experiences) is if I where to use the head unit, I think I would just put the amplifier in full so the amplifiers slope won't get in the way of the head units customizable slope. The amplifier shouldn't even see those undesirable tones coming from the head unit in the first place. Although, I've read people setting both the same. Technically, if your amp has a -12db slope, and you set your head unit to -24 db, the -24 db slope would be a lot steeper, so your amplifier wouldn't even have "time" for the -12db to even work. If you use both, that's just extra protection I guess. 

Just curious, what head unit are you using? 

Archived