Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all, new to this forum and I’ve stumbled across here many times for research.

 

Now brings my question and I’m hoping someone will be able to provide me with some insight with the DD-1+ (which I also recently purchased and have used a few times).

 

While finding my maximum undistorted volume on the headunit, I notice the distortion light illuminates at about halfway on my 2016 VW Passat stock headunit but if i go a click up... the light stays out and continues to stay out until the headunit’s volume is maxed out. Now why is this happening, it’s been puzzling me all day, does my HU just distort at one point for some odd reason? Or is this device just capable of detecting such small amounts? So far I’m highly satisfied with it just have this very question with my situation.

 

I have a P1000x1bd amplifier that has the “clean setup” and is equipped with led that comes on when the HU distorts, but this stays off consistently throughout the process. My guess would be the DD-1+ Is superior to detecting it over the clean setup, but like I said I’m not too sure, any insight helps. Thanks guys!

Edited by Iced
Title
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Iced changed the title to DD-1+ Question regarding distortion

I would say the DD-1 it's superior, and it can detect very minute signs of distortion, not just clipping. 

But I do find out hard to believe your stock head unit is clean all the way up. It's possible, but not probable. 

This might sound obvious and stupid, but change the battery in the unit to a strong, named brand battery. It's been the issue with problems with the DD-1 more times than I can count. Though it doesn't necessarily seem like you're having a problem with the DD-1 itself. You're head unit might just be pretty good. 

What kind of LOC are you using? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I would say the DD-1 it's superior, and it can detect very minute signs of distortion, not just clipping. 

But I do find out hard to believe your stock head unit is clean all the way up. It's possible, but not probable. 

This might sound obvious and stupid, but change the battery in the unit to a strong, named brand battery. It's been the issue with problems with the DD-1 more times than I can count. Though it doesn't necessarily seem like you're having a problem with the DD-1 itself. You're head unit might just be pretty good. 

What kind of LOC are you using? 

Im using a simple two channel LOC from best buy, nothing fancy but it seems to have worked for a while. I can try putting a new energizer battery in. The one I have in now is reading 8.0 volts I believe, cant say for sure, know its around that though. Now the question is do i assume I can only go up to about halfway on my HU? Probably what Ill end up doing unless its such a minute amount at that specific volume adjustment.

Edited by Iced
Mistake
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say if you change the battery and get the same results, you should be able to at least go 3/4 volume at the head unit. There could just be an anomaly at that volume, just enough to tweek the sound wave and set the DD-1 off. 

The LOC you're using doesn't have any type of gain or level control does it? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I would say if you change the battery and get the same results, you should be able to at least go 3/4 volume at the head unit. There could just be an anomaly at that volume, just enough to tweek the sound wave and set the DD-1 off. 

The LOC you're using doesn't have any type of gain or level control does it? 

I believe it does have a level control, I’d have to make sure. If I still get the same occurrence with a new battery, just set my gains on where the distortion light comes on you think? And what are odds the level control on the LOC would cause me problems? 

 

Appreciate your knowledge.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, with not knowing exactly what LOC you have....

Usually a level control is the same as a gain. So if you're testing your head unit after the LOC, if the "gain" is turned down on the LOC, it could be effecting the signal going into the DD-1. Just saying, that's a possibility. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, with not knowing exactly what LOC you have....

Usually a level control is the same as a gain. So if you're testing your head unit after the LOC, if the "gain" is turned down on the LOC, it could be effecting the signal going into the DD-1. Just saying, that's a possibility. 

UPDATE:

 

Went outside this morning with a fresh energizer straight from the box, popped it in and went straight to testing.

 

Got everything hooked up and started turning up my volume, and what do you know. NO DISTORTION LIGHT. There could definitely be something to learn here for me and whoever else may stumble upon this. The DD-1+ is an excellent tool guaranteed and I love it so far. Unless mine has a defect, going to always make sure my batteries have sufficient juice if I run into detecting such a minute level of distortion.

 

Greatly appreciate the help and tips with this issue. Now I can get bumpin rest assured.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...