Running Lithium and agm in parallel ??

I currently have a d5100 under the hood.  I want to add a XS Power PWR-S5 (Lithium Titanate Oxide) in the truck and haven't found a set and stone answer on if you can safely run lithium batteries in parallel with an agm battery.

Xs has said before that running them in parallel is fine because the voltage discharge is minuscule but I've seen elsewhere that it's not smart. 

I've read that using an isolator would would. How large of an isolator would I need?

It really all depends on the resting voltage of the 2 batteries. They say you shouldn't mix chemistries because the resting voltage can be so different. If the AGM sits at a lower resting voltage than the lithium, and if they're wired in parallel, the AGM will leach off the lithium, then the lithium will leach back; and it can greatly shorten the battery life. Some lithium batteries can be paired and play nicely though. 

You could always use a battery isolator though. 

Read this article

https://www.jypwr.com/blog/how-to-wire-agm-and-lithium-batteries-together/

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

13 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

It really all depends on the resting voltage of the 2 batteries. They say you shouldn't mix chemistries because the resting voltage can be so different. If the AGM sits at a lower resting voltage than the lithium, and if they're wired in parallel, the AGM will leach off the lithium, then the lithium will leach back; and it can greatly shorten the battery life. Some lithium batteries can be paired and play nicely though. 

You could always use a battery isolator though. 

Read this article

https://www.jypwr.com/blog/how-to-wire-agm-and-lithium-batteries-together/

Would a 200a continuous current isolator be sufficient in my situation? 

I would rather not do a battery delete considering my current battery is still basically new and why not have more ah.

That should be good. You could also just not wire them together if you'd like. Just hook up the batteries to the alternator. Use the battery under the hood for the stock electrical and the lithium for the system. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

14 hours ago, SleepyAccord said:

I currently have a d5100 under the hood.  I want to add a XS Power PWR-S5 (Lithium Titanate Oxide) in the truck and haven't found a set and stone answer on if you can safely run lithium batteries in parallel with an agm battery.

Xs has said before that running them in parallel is fine because the voltage discharge is minuscule but I've seen elsewhere that it's not smart. 

I've read that using an isolator would would. How large of an isolator would I need?

I have a duralast agm under the hood, and also a pwr-s5 in the back. Per XS, these are perfectly comparable. If I remember correctly, the agm rests something like 12.8. The lithium, rests 13.2. Together with the truck off she sits at 12.8. Idles 14.4-.6. I can always verify those numbers before I get called out in them but no problems whatsoever running them in parallel, no isolator. 

‘16 ram. Net Audio. Taramps. JL. DS18.  Fox Acoustics. XS Power. 226.08” of DC Audio blue carbon fiber. 

Archived