6.5 Component Suggestions around $200

Bdsankey

I'm finally getting around to putting my project truck back together. I'm running a Pioneer DEH-8800BHS in the dash, Audio Control D-4.800 and LC-1.1500 amps (front/rear/sub feeding D-4.800 and then the D-4.800 feeding the LC-1.1500 it's signal). Subs are 4x Savard Hi-Q 6.5" dual 4ohm that I'm planning on running at 2ohm. I'm running a single 1/0 OFC cable under the back seat then into 2x 4ga (super short runs) into the amps. I then am planning on running 12ga OFC speaker wire to all 4 doors (I'm doing it now to the rears even though I'm running them off the head unit in the event that I decide to put some better equipment back there). I have 2x 240a MechMan alternators on the truck now to also feed my onboard power inverter but haven't placed the inverter in the truck yet (don't know how I'm going to yet until the amps are mounted neatly). 

Where my question lies is two fold. 
1) What component set would be recommended for the front stage on a $200-$300 budget? I've been looking at the B2 Rage 6.1 and the SHCA 65C2P Premium Neo 2 Way but am definitely open to options as I know far less than y'all. 

2) Would I benefit from running them as active or passive? I'm planning on running the rear fill off the head unit (crew cab truck) so that I can turn them off when I don't have people in the back seat for long road trips.

MioWell, I don't think you can really go wrong with either of those choices. If you desire better sound quality, you could always sound deaden the doors/ truck. 

If you have the option to go active, you could always piece together your own "component set". What I mean is you could get a set of 6.5's you really like, from any brand, and then buy a tweeter from any brand you like. The thing is you don't really have the option to use a passive crossover in that sense. If I was going to use 1 driver and 1 tweeter per door in my upgrade, I'm going to use a B&C 8BG51 8" neo driver which is a sound quality brand, 220 watts RMS, $129 a piece. For my tweeters, I'm going with Dynovox TD281XL 1 1/8" silk dome tweeters. 100 watts RMS. $36 a piece. Do what I'm trying to get at is if you have the capability to go active, you can piece together your own "component set" for less the $300

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

15 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

MioWell, I don't think you can really go wrong with either of those choices. If you desire better sound quality, you could always sound deaden the doors/ truck. 

If you have the option to go active, you could always piece together your own "component set". What I mean is you could get a set of 6.5's you really like, from any brand, and then buy a tweeter from any brand you like. The thing is you don't really have the option to use a passive crossover in that sense. If I was going to use 1 driver and 1 tweeter per door in my upgrade, I'm going to use a B&C 8BG51 8" neo driver which is a sound quality brand, 220 watts RMS, $129 a piece. For my tweeters, I'm going with Dynovox TD281XL 1 1/8" silk dome tweeters. 100 watts RMS. $36 a piece. Do what I'm trying to get at is if you have the capability to go active, you can piece together your own "component set" for less the $300

Thanks for the advice! I plan on deadening the doors and rear wall of the cab now. I'll be doing the dash/floor this coming winter when I rip the dash out for heater core/AC core, blend doors etc. 

I'd like to stay 6.5" if possible as it will make installation a breeze. I am not at all opposed to buying individuals but sadly I don't know what I do and don't like. I prefer SQ over overall levels (hence going 4x 6.5" subs for clarity). 

1 hour ago, Bdsankey said:

Thanks for the advice! I plan on deadening the doors and rear wall of the cab now. I'll be doing the dash/floor this coming winter when I rip the dash out for heater core/AC core, blend doors etc. 

I'd like to stay 6.5" if possible as it will make installation a breeze. I am not at all opposed to buying individuals but sadly I don't know what I do and don't like. I prefer SQ over overall levels (hence going 4x 6.5" subs for clarity). 

I got ya. Fortunately, I've owned enough different speakers to know what I like. So I asked around for months, literally months, and finally those speakers where highly recommended and are the ones I'm going to go with. 

But like I said, I don't think you'd be unhappy with the B2's or the SHCA's. I figured I'd give you something else to think about that might yield you a better sound (to you obviously) for maybe a bit cheaper. What sounds good does differ from person to person though. 

4 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I got ya. Fortunately, I've owned enough different speakers to know what I like. So I asked around for months, literally months, and finally those speakers where highly recommended and are the ones I'm going to go with. 

But like I said, I don't think you'd be unhappy with the B2's or the SHCA's. I figured I'd give you something else to think about that might yield you a better sound (to you obviously) for maybe a bit cheaper. What sounds good does differ from person to person though. 

I really appreciate it. I know I like Image Dynamics ID65CS and JL C2-650 but I feel like there is better out there for the $200-$300 market.

1 hour ago, Bdsankey said:

I really appreciate it. I know I like Image Dynamics ID65CS and JL C2-650 but I feel like there is better out there for the $200-$300 market.

There probably is. 

What did you like specifically about those? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived