Constant high pitch whine from sub?

My subwoofer "pops" when amp powers on. Also have a high pitch whine coming from subwoofer, happens regardless of if the car is running or just key in on position. Does not come from the other speakers as far as I can tell.

I rewired the head unit harness and I cleaned the amp ground location. Also tried a seat bolt instead of bare metal below the seat. Tried a new set of RCA's. The whine comes thru the sub even with the RCA's unplugged, I think this eliminates the RCA's and head unit as the cause..

(I have a Pioneer MVH-S522BS, CAB-22 and SA 15v1. 1/0 GA power and ground. Stock electrical but HO alt and batteries on the way)

I'm really running out of options here. Is this "pop" and the whine thru the sub bad for the amp/sub or is it safe (albeit annoying) to run it this way?

Any ideas what I should try next?

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)
  • KnuKonceptz wire and RCAs
  • Slam Panda knob (RJ45 model)

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

How is your amp mounted? Is it screwed to the floor? Sometimes the amp can ground itself out like that

Screwed into a wood amp rack sitting behind the sub box

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)

The pop is very bad for the sub I would imagine. My first home subwoofer I had did the same thing, and it ruined the sub. It didn't have the wine though. 

If you have another speaker you don't care about lying around, disconnect the sub and hook that speaker up to it. It doesn't even have to be a subwoofer. Just any old speaker. It'll probably do the same thing. This is just ruling out the sub as the problem. 

Does the cab have it's own internal fuses? If so, take them out, inspect them carefully, change them if needed, if not, put them back in and make sure that connection is tight. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check all the connections for all your fuses going to your sub amp as well

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I'll see if I can find a speaker and give that a try, couldn't hurt. I also have an old amp sitting around that I can try. That would eliminate both of those as being the problem. The CAB doesn't have any fuses that I'm aware of, I do have an external in line fuse near the battery that I can check.

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)

Yeah, if you can just slap the other amp in there just to see what happens. If you put the other amp in and it fixes the problem, then the issue I would think would be internal on the CAB unfortunately. 

On 3/31/2021 at 11:04 PM, Dafaseles said:

Yeah, if you can just slap the other amp in there just to see what happens. If you put the other amp in and it fixes the problem, then the issue I would think would be internal on the CAB unfortunately. 

Swapped another amp in this morning and sure enough all my problems went away. If only I had tried that first, so much wasted time and stress. I'll be sending it back for repair/replacement. Thanks for the help

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)

Well, good thing you found it, sucks it's not a quick, easy fix though. 

First thing people think when you say there's a whine is it's a grounding problem. First thing I thought of when you said it pops is it's a soft turn on issue. Most people don't have an extra amplifier just laying around, so I was going to have you eliminate everything else around the amp, which you already had done the majority of the troubleshooting. 

Anyway, hope the replacement works out better for you

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Well, good thing you found it, sucks it's not a quick, easy fix though. 

First thing people think when you say there's a whine is it's a grounding problem. First thing I thought of when you said it pops is it's a soft turn on issue. Most people don't have an extra amplifier just laying around, so I was going to have you eliminate everything else around the amp, which you already had done the majority of the troubleshooting. 

Anyway, hope the replacement works out better for you

I contacted the company and apparently they do make a bit of a turn on noise. Typically though its very soft or even inaudible in most installs. They are saying that they've only had maybe 3 out of 500 people that own it with the same problem and that it might be my electrical. Basically saying the components of the amp I swapped it with are different such that it doesn't whine or pop. I don't know how accurate that is likely to be though.

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)

I'm sure it's a very small amount of people. I believe that. But there's always going to be some duds out if the bunch. Just the way it is. With every company. Or, it could be simply the ups driver wasn't careful with the package. 

Now, I don't claim to know everything. And there's a pretty good chance whomever you spoke to knows more than me. I just don't know how insufficient electrical would be causing the pop. 🤷‍♂️ not saying it's not possible though

Archived