Alternator?

Hi I have a x runner and plan on running at least a 3000 watt rms system I have I believe an 80 amp alternator and I have 2 yellow top batteries and I wanted to know what is necessary for me to be able to run at least a 3000 watt rms system before I purchase any subs or amplifiers. Will I need to upgrade my alternator? If so will 130 amp work or I know I've seen some 240 high output alternators ? 

Hate to say, but in my opinion, you'd need to upgrade to run 3000 watts. At least 240 amp alternator. 130 won't be enough. Those yellow tops aren't the best either, but if that's what you want to go with, they'll work. What are they, $300 a piece? 72 ah I think.... anyway.... depending on how much you're willing to spend, companies like JS alternators and Brand X can usually make you a custom alternator to fit your ride. Usually, when it's a vehicle that isn't necessarily "popular with the car audio crowd", they don't list that they make alternators for said vehicle, but like I said, some companies will still make you one. Usually over 300 amps as well. Can't have too much electrical

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Short answer of will 130 amp work...maybe. Here is how I approach it. 

3000 watts / 80 percent efficient gives you 3750 watts input to make 3000 watts out.

Alternators make on the low end 13.8 volts. 3750 / 13.8 gives us ~272 amp draw.

You vehicle comes with 80 amp and mostlikely needs ATLEAST half or 40 amps.

Your new alternator is 130 amps - 40 gives you 90 amps POTENTIALLY for system use. 272 - 90 leaves us at ~182 amps required. So you should try for 182 amp hour in agm to keep up 13.8 volts for some jam sessions. You won't be able to demo all day but just cruise without destroying the batteries from excessive discharge cycles.

Also to note. Amplifers are typically rated at 14.4 volts. So even at 13.8 you will not get the full 3 kwatt.

Hope this doesn't confuse. 

Archived