Second Skin Audio

4th Order Build Single American Bass Signature Comp 15

Adiaz8813

Hey guys so I'm looking to build a 4th order enclosure for a single 15" American Bass VFL Comp Signature 15D1 and have no idea where to start. I would love to see this thing punch but also slam the high 20s low 30s. I have an 1996 chevy extended cab pickup with the rear seats taken out with a good amount of room to work with. This subwoofer does have a parameter chart that came with it that I will upload if it helps. I cannot find much information or many videos about this subwoofer. Only the older VFLs with the yellow cone. This one is carbon fiber, weighs 72lbs and is 5000w rms. Sub displacement I believe is around 0.30cuft. Temporarily going to be pushing it with a kicker 1200.1 amp at 2ohms. Seems like no one posts anything about this monster. Thank you guys for any input! Much appreciated!

20210329_134150.jpg

20210329_134144.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-232354_Chrome.jpg

Thank you very much for your input Liteblue. What exactly should I be tuning the box to? I hear 4th orders can be tuned a little higher and still slam the lows....? And 1 would be sealed and 4 would be ported right? As far as the ratio goes. For example 1.25cuft sealed and 5 ported?

In a 4th order the sealed section acts like a high-pass filter, and the ported section acts like a low pass filter. Before you start building the box, I highly recommend building out exactly where all your other equipment is going to be first. I built the BIGGEST box I could squeeze in and now servicing, upgrading and tuning are a pain. Also a band-pass enclosure could give you more output but more limited band width than a ported enclosure.

Do you know what the external dimension of the enclosure will be? That will decide what kind of ratio you can accomplish.

Have you tried reaching out to American Bass? All companies want their customers to have a good experience not only buying but also using the equipment.  I imagine their support techs have a good idea of what enclosure specs would be best for the woofer both musical or max output.

You might be better off with a 6th order or a traditional ported enclosure. The qts of this woofer is above .4 and a 4th order is recommend closer to .3

On 4/10/2021 at 10:10 AM, liteblue said:

Damn that sub is a beast!

Big ratio box will give you more output and bandwidth. If you have the room go  largest ratio possible like 1:4 and you can always dial it down. Much harder to make the box bigger. 

Dude, you don’t know what you are talking about. Quit trying to help people with subwoofer enclosures when you aren’t qualified and don’t have the knowledge or know how to do so. On 4th order enclosures, bigger ratio narrows the bandwidth. Completely opposite of what you think you know. You have officially got on my nerves with your misguided posts. Just quit.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

7 hours ago, liteblue said:

In a 4th order the sealed section acts like a high-pass filter, and the ported section acts like a low pass filter. Before you start building the box, I highly recommend building out exactly where all your other equipment is going to be first. I built the BIGGEST box I could squeeze in and now servicing, upgrading and tuning are a pain. Also a band-pass enclosure could give you more output but more limited band width than a ported enclosure.

Do you know what the external dimension of the enclosure will be? That will decide what kind of ratio you can accomplish.

Have you tried reaching out to American Bass? All companies want their customers to have a good experience not only buying but also using the equipment.  I imagine their support techs have a good idea of what enclosure specs would be best for the woofer both musical or max output.

You might be better off with a 6th order or a traditional ported enclosure. The qts of this woofer is above .4 and a 4th order is recommend closer to .3

First you recommend a big ass crappy sounding ratio for that subwoofer thinking it’s better. Now you think lower Q subwoofers are optimal in 4th order enclosures. Dude, wtf. Subwoofers with a “Q”ts around 0.5 or higher are optimal in 4th order enclosures. Now go Google some shit and tell this man how much port area he needs on that enclosure you recommended. I’m ready to see what kind of misguided information you Google and filter on here next lol! You are correct about one thing though, a 6th order enclosure would be better suited on the subwoofer anyways. But a 4th order enclosure would work and sound super good and loud if somebody who knew what they are talking about designed it. So, forget Googling about that port area, Google about series tuned 6th order enclosures and then say fugh it and foolishly filter that shit to a noob like it’s legit legit and waste his money and hard work. Lol! SMH.

If you want to add something to the conversation cool. But let's not thread jack by just saying I'm stupid. You seem to call people stupid alot but you didn't add anything helpful. Sigh I'm sorry you get triggered it was not my intent =/.

Me like most people here are trying to learn and share experiences. Sorry. This will be my last post for enclosures.

Let's try to be adults. 

Also there is where I pulled the .3 and .4 recommend specs.

20210418_092011.jpg

On 4/18/2021 at 10:28 AM, liteblue said:

If you want to add something to the conversation cool. But let's not thread jack by just saying I'm stupid. You seem to call people stupid alot but you didn't add anything helpful. Sigh I'm sorry you get triggered it was not my intent =/.

Me like most people here are trying to learn and share experiences. Sorry. This will be my last post for enclosures.

Let's try to be adults. 

Also there is where I pulled the .3 and .4 recommend specs.

20210418_092011.jpg

That information isn’t accurate. I don’t use how to books to design enclosures. I learned from OGs and trial and error and experience. I do help the OPs. I message them. I’m not saying you are stupid. I’m just saying that you don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to subwoofer enclosures. I’m correct. That doesn’t mean I’m calling you stupid, nor are you stupid. Most college professors don’t know how to design a subwoofer enclosure. I’m not about to let you misguide people with false information. I’m gonna speak up. If I don’t speak up and let somebody misguide a noob then that would make me a bad person to allow it. Don’t let your ego or emotions cloud what matters. This is a forum that guides people correctly. So no offense, if you can’t get your information straight guided, then don’t speak on it. If you haven’t built and designed multiple enclosures the OP is asking help with, then don’t chime in. This goes for any car audio question on here. Experience is needed to answer questions and help. Google and YouTube isn’t experience. I’m sorry I came at you like that. I was wrong about that and could of said things differently. I’m just blunt and it angers me when somebody misguides somebody when they know they don’t know much about the matter, but they blindly help anyways in hope of the guidance being correct.

OP, I would say have some model before you do anything. Even after modeling, you sometimes have to build and play it to make adjustments. In my experience with 4ths and I have run a few. The big ratio subs had a lot of gain and didnt help with bandwidth. The bandwidth was more a function of the tuning. The ones that had very good bandwidth had smaller ratios like 2:1 and higher tuning like 40 to 45, I had one that was 50hz and played from 70 down. 

Archived