Sonic Electronix

Will this lithium work with my build??

Wassup guys! I’m finishing up prep and planning on my first big boy build and I need some advice regarding implementing lithium. I’m looking to add one in the rear. My build consists of :-

•XS Power AGM D3400R (Under Hood)

•350a Alternator
•Big 3 Upgrade

•Single run of 1/0 Guage SHCA from front to rear

•(2) Sundown Xv2 12s wired to 2ohms on

•Sundown SALT-6 (2ohm load)

I’m going the lithium route mainly because of size of where it’ll be installed (The location of is a 9sq. inch cubby behind the third row to maintain a clean/hidden install). 

I’m doing tons of research and getting constant conflicting results in regards to mixing different battery technologies, wiring, isolators, alternator longevity, etc., etc. 

I impulse bought a Limitless 25ah because it’ll fit in the cubby and it’s good for up to 4500wrms. My main concerns are can I simply just add it inline with the agm up front and they’ll play nice together? Is that Limitless sufficient for my build? Will I need an isolator and will that make the lithium require more maintenance? And also Limitless says Up to 4,500w at 12v with 150a of available charging; does that mean my alternator will be overcharging it? 

Any input will be greatly greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance guys.

That 150a of available charging does mean max amperage you can shove into it. That 25ah is meant for stock alternators that output less, so yes you will need to go a different route with that 350 amp alternator. 

If you go lithium I'd honestly ditch the AGM and get enough reserve to cover 75% or more of OEM specs. Then you won't have to worry about isolators, or one leeching voltage off one another causing more cycles to occur = less life. 

I liked JY powers blog on isolators because they were fairly simple with explanation: https://www.jypwr.com/blog/how-to-wire-agm-and-lithium-batteries-together/

You may want to also consider reading their blog on wire gauge and current capacity: https://www.jypwr.com/blog/run-power-wire-the-right-way/

10 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

That 150a of available charging does mean max amperage you can shove into it. That 25ah is meant for stock alternators that output less, so yes you will need to go a different route with that 350 amp alternator. 

If you go lithium I'd honestly ditch the AGM and get enough reserve to cover 75% or more of OEM specs. Then you won't have to worry about isolators, or one leeching voltage off one another causing more cycles to occur = less life. 

I liked JY powers blog on isolators because they were fairly simple with explanation: https://www.jypwr.com/blog/how-to-wire-agm-and-lithium-batteries-together/

You may want to also consider reading their blog on wire gauge and current capacity: https://www.jypwr.com/blog/run-power-wire-the-right-way/

I was going to post the same jy article lol. It is a good one that is worded very well. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thanks so much for the advice Joshdashef. And very nice reads with the JYPWR articles. It sounds like I would be good to go with replacing the AGM 3400R with a Lithium PWR-S5-3400R? That together with the 350a alt and that should suffice? Also, how would I go about the 3 inputs on the amp; will I then have to do 3 runs from upfront?

On 4/9/2021 at 1:43 AM, paullyswervv said:

Thanks so much for the advice Joshdashef. And very nice reads with the JYPWR articles. It sounds like I would be good to go with replacing the AGM 3400R with a Lithium PWR-S5-3400R? That together with the 350a alt and that should suffice? Also, how would I go about the 3 inputs on the amp; will I then have to do 3 runs from upfront?

Honestly, they have those under-hood safe lithium units but I would not be comfortable putting a lithium battery anywhere near my engine IMO. I would do a battery delete up front and run all my lithium in the rear (exactly what I am doing) 

3 inputs would just come from your rear bank of lithium. Your alternator will only output max 350-400 amps on a good day so two runs of 1/0 is all that is necessary unless you want to make it even. 

I would not mix the limitless lithium's LiFePO4 with another chemistry like the S5's LTO

Archived