Singer 390A Alternator

Kinetik HC1800-BLU AGM

- 1350CA

- 75AH

Build:

2x Sundown Zv5 12"

1x Taramps MD8000.1

5.0ft3 Net, 32hz, 90in2 Port Area

Am I going to need 2/0 wire? Also what fuses should I use?

Thank you!

1/0 OFC is capable of 300 amps on a 20' run. I'd recommend a dual run of 1/0 or upsizing to single 2/0 run.

Fuse to protect the wire so 300 amp fuses for 1/0. 

Two runs of 1/0 minimum.

What vehicle is this going into? About how long will your wire runs be?

You will need more 1/0 than the one kit. Plus you have to do big three upgrades. Even two runs from the alternator would not be overkill for a 390 alt.

Also if you are only using one battery then you will be pushing all that current down one pipe. Buy an additional nvx 25 foot roll, don't forget ring terminals and second fuse holder, cheaper than buying 4/0 and all the fixings, ie fuse holders, rca cables, remote wire, ring terminals etc. Consider adding 2/0 for big three kit or even a 50 foot roll of 1/0 instead of 25 feet. 

8000 watts is nothing to sneeze at. Power in equals power out and at 80 percent efficient it requires 10000 watts input power. Divide by 14.4 volts and you are almost at 700 amps. 

So, factoring in that 390 amp alternator, you're still short by a lot! 8000 watts is not kiddie pool play time. It takes power to make power. 

I get it. You buy a Brazilian full bridge amp for so much cheaper than it's Korean counterpart, it's hard to understand why it would cost so much to power it. Well, technology has made amplifiers smaller, more efficient, more powerful and cheaper. Technology has also made powering those amplifiers possible with more power in the same, or smaller footprint, but the price hasn't gone down that much unfortunately. 

When someone asks about powering big wattage like in your case, I tell them go lithium. For a little more than $1000, you can get a Limitless Lithium Cyber 12k and paired with that 390 alt, you should be pretty solid. Or, there's other great lithium options out there as well. Instead if running 4 AGM's at 50lbs a piece, running a single lithium battery or LTO bank at 20lbs while taking up considerably less space. 

I would look into purchasing a set of dual 1/0 amp reducers for that amp. So you would need 2 1/0 positives and 2 1/0 grounds for it, then on each positive run, use a 400 amp fuse for a total of 800 amps. 

2 runs of 1/0 from the alternator is a must. 1 run of 2/0 still wouldn't cut it. Then fuse those 2 runs with 350-400 amp fuses as close to the alternator, and again as close to the battery as you can get. This will protect your wire from catching fire. 

Big 3/4 on big power like that is a MUST! Even doubling up on those runs would be advised. 

That's my opinion on the situation anyway. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

13 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

1/0 OFC is capable of 300 amps on a 20' run. I'd recommend a dual run of 1/0 or upsizing to single 2/0 run.

Fuse to protect the wire so 300 amp fuses for 1/0. 

10 hours ago, liteblue said:

Two runs of 1/0 minimum.

What vehicle is this going into? About how long will your wire runs be?

You will need more 1/0 than the one kit. Plus you have to do big three upgrades. Even two runs from the alternator would not be overkill for a 390 alt.

Also if you are only using one battery then you will be pushing all that current down one pipe. Buy an additional nvx 25 foot roll, don't forget ring terminals and second fuse holder, cheaper than buying 4/0 and all the fixings, ie fuse holders, rca cables, remote wire, ring terminals etc. Consider adding 2/0 for big three kit or even a 50 foot roll of 1/0 instead of 25 feet. 

8000 watts is nothing to sneeze at. Power in equals power out and at 80 percent efficient it requires 10000 watts input power. Divide by 14.4 volts and you are almost at 700 amps. 

8 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, factoring in that 390 amp alternator, you're still short by a lot! 8000 watts is not kiddie pool play time. It takes power to make power. 

I get it. You buy a Brazilian full bridge amp for so much cheaper than it's Korean counterpart, it's hard to understand why it would cost so much to power it. Well, technology has made amplifiers smaller, more efficient, more powerful and cheaper. Technology has also made powering those amplifiers possible with more power in the same, or smaller footprint, but the price hasn't gone down that much unfortunately. 

When someone asks about powering big wattage like in your case, I tell them go lithium. For a little more than $1000, you can get a Limitless Lithium Cyber 12k and paired with that 390 alt, you should be pretty solid. Or, there's other great lithium options out there as well. Instead if running 4 AGM's at 50lbs a piece, running a single lithium battery or LTO bank at 20lbs while taking up considerably less space. 

I would look into purchasing a set of dual 1/0 amp reducers for that amp. So you would need 2 1/0 positives and 2 1/0 grounds for it, then on each positive run, use a 400 amp fuse for a total of 800 amps. 

2 runs of 1/0 from the alternator is a must. 1 run of 2/0 still wouldn't cut it. Then fuse those 2 runs with 350-400 amp fuses as close to the alternator, and again as close to the battery as you can get. This will protect your wire from catching fire. 

Big 3/4 on big power like that is a MUST! Even doubling up on those runs would be advised. 

That's my opinion on the situation anyway. 

Thanks for the help. I was only planning to put 4k to the speakers but I guess I would still need another run of 1/0. Also I forgot to mention the AGM is in the rear, I still have my stock battery.

But I think to simplify things, I'm just going to go with 2x Xv2 12s and give them 3000w total from the Taramps. I could stick with a single run of 1/0 for power and big 3. And could probably get away with the 320a alternator along with my two batteries. Also 300a fuses. I hope it's close to as loud as Zv5s though.

Unless you guys think one PSI Platform 4 18" would be louder than the two sundown Xv2 12s in a 5.5cf net enclosure. Vehicle is 2010 Mazda 6 trunk build.

The 390 alt can produce over 5000 watts.  BUT I still suggest atleast 2/0 for big 3, two 1/0 is better than one 2/0. And you should still do more than 1 run of 1/0 if you stick with the 300+ amp alternator. Just one pipe between two batteries and 390 amps of charge will be a bottle neck.

5 hours ago, Jonnyswboy said:

Thanks for the help. I was only planning to put 4k to the speakers but I guess I would still need another run of 1/0. Also I forgot to mention the AGM is in the rear, I still have my stock battery.

But I think to simplify things, I'm just going to go with 2x Xv2 12s and give them 3000w total from the Taramps. I could stick with a single run of 1/0 for power and big 3. And could probably get away with the 320a alternator along with my two batteries. Also 300a fuses. I hope it's close to as loud as Zv5s though.

Unless you guys think one PSI Platform 4 18" would be louder than the two sundown Xv2 12s in a 5.5cf net enclosure. Vehicle is 2010 Mazda 6 trunk build.

Hard to say which will be louder. Two subs will most likely be more windy. Two subs will dissipate heat better. The 18 has potentially more cone area, but two 12 is twice piston movement or stoke. If it's a sedan two 12s. That's my two cents.

OHH! call sundown or a local dealer the xv3 are being built and shipped if you ask. 

Archived