Sundown Audio

Will impedance rise be a problem? (Taramps 12k 0.5ohm)

Jonnyswboy

Planning on running 2x Nsv4/Zv6 12s (or something similar) at 0.5ohm final impedance.

The Taramps 12k 1ohm does 4100w at 4ohms, so I'm assuming the 0.5ohm version will do 4100w at 2ohms.

I want to be able to put 5k to the subs and am worried that wouldn't be possible. Do you think my impedance would rise above ~1.5ohm? I'm willing to wire to 1ohm if I can find an amplifier solution that won't break the bank.

Thank you!

No matter what you do, your impedance will rise. It will rise above 1.5 at certain points as well. Your impedance rise can reach up 8 ohms or higher easily. Here's the kicker, for an everyday system, you won't ever hear much of a difference. 

Now if you're competing, that's a different story. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

10 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

No matter what you do, your impedance will rise. It will rise above 1.5 at certain points as well. Your impedance rise can reach up to 8 ohms or higher. Here's the kicker, for an everyday system, you won't ever hear much of a difference. 

Now if you're competing, that's a different story. 

So I wouldn't gain significant output by running each sub on 2 separate sundown SCV-7500D's for example?

All things considered, optimum enclosure for subs and power, your electrical being more than enough, all that.... I would think you'd be louder with the 2 7500D's because they would be pushing out more wattage than the 12k. I don't know about significant though. I guess it depends on your definition of significant. 

The thing is, when you get up to the higher db systems, it takes a lot more for the human ear to hear significant gains. 

Me personally, if I had to choose, I would go with the 7500's,(though I haven't looked at the RMS of those subs yet. That might change my mind) that's just my opinion though. 

The way it was explained to me (I hope I explain it correctly) is, let's say you have 1 100 watt 12. You get 90 db from that 1 12. The human ear considers something to be twice as loud at an increase of I think 10 db... maybe it's 8... anyway... if you add another 100 watt 12 on another 100 watts, you'd only get an increase of about 5 or 6 db (realistically, of course there's exceptions). So for it to sound twice as loud, you'd need 3 12's on 300 watts. 

As the db's get higher, it's takes even more effort. So, on the 2 12's, there can be a slight difference between the 2 7500's, and the 12k, maybe even a little more than slight, but it won't be the difference between shaking the mess out of the car next to you or not. 

Now, competition is different. You're working towards every single .01 db you can possibly get. So in that regards, yes, those 2 configurations can be the difference between top 3 and not placing at all. 

I hope that made sense

So what I did, was I figured, hypothetically (there's no way of knowing until the enclosure is built, in the car, and slapping), the lowest my amps would maybe see was 1.3 ohm (wired to 1 ohm). So I chose amps that at around 1.3 ohm, (guesstimated) they'll put out a little more than I want to feed my subs all the time. After that, the amps and subs will do whatever they want. But at least I know that away certain points, my subs will be getting everything they can handle. That's my 2 cents anyway

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

46 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

All things considered, optimum enclosure for subs and power, your electrical being more than enough, all that.... I would think you'd be louder with the 2 7500D's because they would be pushing out more wattage than the 12k. I don't know about significant though. I guess it depends on your definition of significant. 

The thing is, when you get up to the higher db systems, it takes a lot more for the human ear to hear significant gains. 

Me personally, if I had to choose, I would go with the 7500's,(though I haven't looked at the RMS of those subs yet. That might change my mind) that's just my opinion though. 

The way it was explained to me (I hope I explain it correctly) is, let's say you have 1 100 watt 12. You get 90 db from that 1 12. The human ear considers something to be twice as loud at an increase of I think 10 db... maybe it's 8... anyway... if you add another 100 watt 12 on another 100 watts, you'd only get an increase of about 5 or 6 db (realistically, of course there's exceptions). So for it to sound twice as loud, you'd need 3 12's on 300 watts. 

As the db's get higher, it's takes even more effort. So, on the 2 12's, there can be a slight difference between the 2 7500's, and the 12k, maybe even a little more than slight, but it won't be the difference between shaking the mess out of the car next to you or not. 

Now, competition is different. You're working towards every single .01 db you can possibly get. So in that regards, yes, those 2 configurations can be the difference between top 3 and not placing at all. 

I hope that made sense

So what I did, was I figured, hypothetically (there's no way of knowing until the enclosure is built, in the car, and slapping), the lowest my amps would maybe see was 1.3 ohm (wired to 1 ohm). So I chose amps that at around 1.3 ohm, (guesstimated) they'll put out a little more than I want to feed my subs all the time. After that, the amps and subs will do whatever they want. But at least I know that away certain points, my subs will be getting everything they can handle. That's my 2 cents anyway

Thanks for the insight. I think I'll just send it with the 12k I guess lol.

Archived