Second Skin Audio

05 Sierra Subwoofer Thoughts

eand28

Looking to put a system in my 05 Sierra and I’m having a hard time making up my mind. I don’t have a ton of space behind the seat and I’d like to keep the space under my seats for amps and for storing stuff. 

So far my thoughts is two Sundown SD-4 10’s in a sealed ~1.20cu3 box behind the seat or 4 Sundown SA-8’s in a ported 1.20cu3 box.

I listen to a bit of everything and I’m sort of shooting for SQL.

Any input is greatly appreciated and if this is in the wrong section, admin feel free to move it to where it should go

Me personally, I'd go those SA 8's. There's guys pumping 1000 watts each to those things saying thru could probably take even more. I haven't heard much about the shallow Sundown subs, though I'm sure, knowing Sundown's reputation, they're beasts as well.

As far as the sound quality goes, either of those configurations in the properly designed and built enclosure is going to do what you need it to. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Me personally, I'd go those SA 8's. There's guys pumping 1000 watts each to those things saying thru could probably take even more. I haven't heard much about the shallow Sundown subs, though I'm sure, knowing Sundown's reputation, they're beasts as well.

As far as the sound quality goes, either of those configurations in the properly designed and built enclosure is going to do what you need it to. 

I’ve heard the SD series is more SQ focused but the SA is more for those looking for overall output. I’ve got a single 12 (1.5cu3 ported) in my dd civic and it’s great considering it’s on 500w. I just feel like I’d regret going sealed vs ported

1 hour ago, eand28 said:

I’ve heard the SD series is more SQ focused but the SA is more for those looking for overall output. I’ve got a single 12 (1.5cu3 ported) in my dd civic and it’s great considering it’s on 500w. I just feel like I’d regret going sealed vs ported

I was worried about the same thing. I always had ported. My last system I just pulled out was 4 12" W6's sealed. Granted, it was 4 12's, but the low end and punchyness of that setup was very nice! I'm a believer now. Done right, sealed is a great option

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived