Sonic Electronix

2015 Silverado 1500 voltage issue?

Hello everyone, this might be the wrong place on the forum.
So i recently have been doing a audio system in my 2015 Silverado 1500. For the electrical i have done:
Mechman 370 amp alternator
2 XS power batteries

Now im having a voltage issue because even when my audio system is not running, my interior lights and headlights keep dimming and coming back. I have the done the big 3 upgrade that Mechman had specified. On the firewall, there is a grounding point where Chevy had put a ribbon lookin piece on. For the big 3, i basically grabbed a 1/0 wire from the battery, through the RVC sensor, then ran that all the way to the firewall ground. The second ground just goes from the alternator case to that same firewall spot which technically should tie in all together since they are at the same point. For the alternator charging wire, i stacked a 1/0 power wire on top of the factory charging cable. The second battery is in parallel with the primary, power wise and for the second battery ground comes from the firewall spot. So now i have 3 grounds on that firewall point. After all this i get fluctuation in voltage and every light on the truck dims up and down even when my audio system isnt running. Has anyone had a similar issue and can give some tips on what to do in this situation? The biggest part of this is that RVC sensor and it has been taken care of. It was the main thing that i made 100% sure i did not overlook. This whole audio install has been an absolute PITA. Also, im new to car audio and im trying to soak up as much knowledge i can. 

I have a second gen Silverado with the RVC. I don't know if the 2015 is gen 2 or 3, but here's what I've learned about my truck. 

My cable went from my battery ground, through the RVC donut, and then to the engine block, not the firewall. I had also looked at my cousins 2013 (gen 2 as well) with no aftermarket electrical work done, his was the same. 

Now, add far as grounding everything, the RVC doesn't like it when you ground things to the frame, which you have not. If what I've learned is correct, all extra grounding needs to go to the alternator case. So, if what I've learned it's correct, front battery ground through donut, amplifiers grounded to second battery, then second battery grounded to alternator case. 

Are you sure that spot on the firewall is the factory grounding location through the donut? Not saying your wrong, just throwing out ideas 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

I have a second gen Silverado with the RVC. I don't know if the 2015 is gen 2 or 3, but here's what I've learned about my truck. 

My cable went from my battery ground, through the RVC donut, and then to the engine block, not the firewall. I had also looked at my cousins 2013 (gen 2 as well) with no aftermarket electrical work done, his was the same. 

Now, add far as grounding everything, the RVC doesn't like it when you ground things to the frame, which you have not. If what I've learned is correct, all extra grounding needs to go to the alternator case. So, if what I've learned it's correct, front battery ground through donut, amplifiers grounded to second battery, then second battery grounded to alternator case. 

Are you sure that spot on the firewall is the factory grounding location through the donut? Not saying your wrong, just throwing out ideas 

Oh its not through the donut, its just another spot for a ground, im guessing. The factory ground is actually grounded to the frame. In this truck there are 2 grounds from the primary battery. 1 goes from the battery, through the donut and then straight down to the frame. The second ground goes through the donut, then to the engine block. But now from what you said, i honestly do think that firewall is not a good spot. The one thing that doesnt make sense though, is that if the RVC doesnt like frame grounds than why would GM put a ground through the RVC to the frame?

By any chance, the ground you're talking about that goes to the frame, is it like a 14 gauge or smaller wire that snakes itself to the frame through the front and ends up kind of behind the front lights? I saw a wire like that on mine and my cousins truck. We just left it alone. And, at least on my truck, it looked like it went through the donut, but it actually didn't. QR didn't check on my cousin's though. My truck, obviously had work done. My cousins is still stock 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

By any chance, the ground you're talking about that goes to the frame, is it like a 14 gauge or smaller wire that snakes itself to the frame through the front and ends up kind of behind the front lights? I saw a wire like that on mine and my cousins truck. We just left it alone. And, at least on my truck, it looked like it went through the donut, but it actually didn't. QR didn't check on my cousin's though. My truck, obviously had work done. My cousins is still stock 

Oh no, it just goes straight down to the frame. My primary battery is on the passenger side, right in front of the firewall and the RVC is right under the battery, so imagine the wire goes off the battery, than just straight down to the frame. This wire is more like an 8 gauge in mine.  Damn man, that RVC is making a mess lol

My stock battery is in the same location and I think I know what you're looking at. Looks like it goes straight down almost right at or just behind the wheel? Mine had that too, (didn't go through the donut though) but I assumed the stereo shop that didn't know what they where doing put that in because my cousins (who again, is untouched) didn't have that. Have you had any work done to it before? Did you buy it used? And if so, is there any indication that there might have been an aftermarket stereo in it before? 

Anyway, I took screenshots back when I first learned about the truck having the RVC. It was actually an Instagram post from Steve Meade. After i raff these 2 things, i started asking around and watching YouTube videos. Then @1point21gigawattsand myself came up with my plan. Screenshot_20210415-200636_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1fe91717b19559a0eb9a15bdd7e3118f.jpg

Screenshot_20210415-193456_Instagram.jpg

11 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

My stock battery is in the same location and I think I know what you're looking at. Looks like it goes straight down almost right at or just behind the wheel? Mine had that too, (didn't go through the donut though) but I assumed the stereo shop that didn't know what they where doing put that in because my cousins (who again, is untouched) didn't have that. Have you had any work done to it before? Did you buy it used? And if so, is there any indication that there might have been an aftermarket stereo in it before? 

Anyway, I took screenshots back when I first learned about the truck having the RVC. It was actually an Instagram post from Steve Meade. After i raff these 2 things, i started asking around and watching YouTube videos. Then @1point21gigawattsand myself came up with my plan. Screenshot_20210415-200636_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1fe91717b19559a0eb9a15bdd7e3118f.jpg

Screenshot_20210415-193456_Instagram.jpg

Hmm, it looks like the alt case is best. But i technically have a ground from my alt. However, it doesnt go straight to the battery. Im gonna switch it around and see what happens. People were saying that it can be from the alternators timing or a bad alt in general. I doubt it because Mechman makes some good stuff

I wouldn't completely rule that out. Yeah, mechman makes quality, but no company is perfect. The alternator could have been damaged in shipping. Try switching around the grounds and see what happens 

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I wouldn't completely rule that out. Yeah, mechman makes quality, but no company is perfect. The alternator could have been damaged in shipping. Try switching around the grounds and see what happens 

Ok so i switched up the grounds. Voltage is stable at 14.9V but the alternator has a whistle. Its not very loud but loud enough where you can hear it slightly when the hood is closed

Archived