mids and highs go flat sounding at high volume

jj-mite

hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a small problem. I have a set of b2 rage 6.1 components, ran off a crescendo s800.4 (new model). along with that i have an SSA x-con 12 running off a crescendo bc2000d. I have an alpine hu and everything is powered off an smd distro block, gains set with an smd dd-1 (not even at max undistorted volume) and a big 3 on the engine along with a high output alt.  the hu distorts at volume setting 29, and my gains are set for volume 23, when the volume gets to 23 with rap or edm type of music, the mids and highs go flat sounding. they have passive crossovers so i leave the amp setting at full pass so they can do their thing and in the hu, the low pass is set to 80 and the high pass is at 100. when i play rock music (or anything that doesnt hit) they sound fine. Im fairly new to amp powered mids and highs and the associated settings that go with them as i have only previously just had a sub. when the mids/highs go flat, their is nothing on the amp that says theirs a problem, and the amp is wired with 0 gauge even though it only needs 4 gauge. does anybody know what is happening and how to fix it? It does the same thing even when the hpf is turned on (and the bass sounds oddly weird). many many thanks in advance to any help you guys can give!

So the crossover points coming from your head unit are set at 80 and 100? 

I'm not super familiar with that specific head unit. I'm guessing you have an RCA output for your sub, and output for your mids, and an output for your highs? 

If your head unit low pass crossover is set at 80, then the head unit won't send a signal to the amp above 80 hz. This is good for your sub, but not your mids and highs. And if the high pass is set at 100, then that's not so bad, but depending on where your sub LPF is set, and depending on your roll off, you might be missing out on a bunch of notes. 

I say, if you're using the passive crossovers that where made specifically for those components, keep your sub LPF set to 80 (your sub HPF or subsonic filter should be set to about half an octave below the tuning of your enclosure) but set your crossovers for the mids and highs to full on the head unit. As well as the amp. The crossover should take care of protecting the tweeter and driver. 

Also, you could try to sound deadened your doors. It could be at high volumes you're losing all that information to the outside of your car. Sound deadening your doors can make shitty speakers sound good. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I have the whole truck sound deadened. you are correct,  the mids and highs are hpf is 100 and up and sub is set to 80 and below. rcas on hu are 1 set for sub and one set for rear speakers and one set for front. Im not too happy with how the hu works,  it has a shitty designed eq system where you have 3 different freq settings for the mid and 3 for  the highs, as well as wide, narrow, (no idea what thats supposed to do honestly). I think the problem is with the head unit and its limited settings. on the 4 channel amp, i left everything at full pass because (like you said) the passive xovers take care of the speakers. do you think that maybe the sub amp is taking up too much juice for the 4 channel to work properly? when the sound goes flat, i can turn the volume all the way down and the mids and highs reset themselves (so to speak). my battery is just a basic battery, not an excess power battery or anything designed for audio. I figured with the big 3 and a high output alt, it would be fine (but who knows) thank you for your imput and help with all this!

So, this isn't something I've tested myself, only have heard second hand, but apparently some passive crossovers will actually kick in a little more at high volumes to maybe compensate for what they might lack, or protect lower wattage tweeters (I think the RMS on those tweeters is actually only 30 watts) so that could be it. 

There was a member on here not to long ago, maybe a month ago, saying something similar about his B2 components. Basically saying they leave something to be desired as far as sound quality goes. I don't have an opinion because I've never actually heard them. 

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea about how to set up your crossovers and it doesn't sound like you're pulling a crazy amount of amperage so you're electrical should be decent. 1 thing you could try is (not the sub obviously) seeing the head unit to full pass and the amplifier to full. The passive crossover should take care of everything and protect the speakers. 

200 watts per channel it's a lot more than those rage components can handle. It could be the crossover protecting the speakers from too much power. They can do that as well. I have a Cresendo S4 and they're serious! So you could try even a lower power amp or turning your gain down. 

lol yeah i have to agree, the b2s arent really that "wow" sounding, in fact they dont sound any better than the infinty kappa components from 14 years ago that they replaced. when i set the gains to the s4, i used the dd-1 with the audiophile setting (least amount of db overlap), then turned it down from their just a hair so I know (or at least think i know) that they shouldnt be getting anymore than 100 watts.  i also cross referenced this with what the voltage should be at 100 watts with a multi meter so hopefully their not running too hot. the crossover protecting them could be it because when i put some bassnectar on today, when it was full tilt, the mids and highs just completely shut off but the amp was working like their was no problem, then as usual, when i turned the volume down to 2 or 3, they magically came back on. maybe il just turn the gain down some more lol. thank you for all your help and input! i really appreciate the help!

The rage is also their entry level component. Their reference series 3 ways look beast! But expensive! Though you get what you pay for. 

I'll tell you what, my Memphis VIV compliments are the best I've heard so far in my opinion. They are also expensive as all hell lol

• 2 weeks later...

they have a riot series just below the rage ($160) and the rage components were $300 so id hoped for even just a hair better sound but its lacking something somewhere in its overall sound, although not bad though. . Id love to go 3 ways but yeah those are a little expensive, maybe for the next ride lol. Ive heard great things about memphis audio! thanks for all your help!

Archived