H/O Alt, volt drop in reverse and at idle.

First some details: I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.7L V6. I installed a high output alternator from AutoTech engineering, 143 amps at 650 RPM and 286 amps at 1800 RPM. 1/0 ground directly from alt and a separate ground from battery. Using the factory power wire (from the old alt) in addition to a new 1/0 power run. Alt came with a 2 wire clip (original harness not used) 1 wire goes to alt top post and the other to a 12v ignition source (I used a fuse tap).

Voltage fluctuates a bit but in park, neutral or while driving it sits around 14.7-14.9. When I'm in drive but stopped, like at a traffic light, it will drop to low 14's. In Reverse it drops to mid 13's.

Is this normal activity?

I'm using a volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter which I know isn't great (I've ordered a legit meter already) could this be the issue entirely?

It's also possible that the auto parts store gave me the factory sized belt when I asked for one .5" shorter. I googled this after the fact and realized that the 79" belt he gave me is the stock size. Would this somehow cause lower voltage in reverse and at idle?

I'm wayyy out of my depth here any advice/insight would be really helpful. TIA

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)
  • KnuKonceptz wire and RCAs
  • Slam Panda knob (RJ45 model)

If you've ever listened to the engine, or watched your RPM's when you put the vehicle in gear, the RPM's drop a little (you can hear the different sound the engine makes). I'd say that pretty normal behavior. If you start dropping into the mid to low 12's, then I'd worry

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

If you've ever listened to the engine, or watched your RPM's when you put the vehicle in gear, the RPM's drop a little (you can hear the different sound the engine makes). I'd say that pretty normal behavior. If you start dropping into the mid to low 12's, then I'd worry

Yeah it stays well above 14 the vast majority of the time but I'm not very mechanically inclined so figured it was best to ask. Thanks

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)
  • KnuKonceptz wire and RCAs
  • Slam Panda knob (RJ45 model)

Archived