Sonic Electronix

How to figure out if car can support amplifier?

I drive a 2014 Nissan Altima SV (2.5L). Stock everything except an Optima yellowtop. I'm currently running my speakers off of HU power. I have a MMATS DHC1400.1 Amp and two MMATS procast 12's. I'm planning on installing a Skar SKv2-100.4AB 4 channel for my speakers. How do I determine if my current (stock) setup will be able to handle the new amplifier before installing it? Even a rough estimate? If I need a HO alternator, a 200 Amp alternator runs about $500, not my first choice but if it's necessary... I just want to know how to prepare before install. I'll be running 1/0 to a distribution block for two runs of 4GA to each amplifier.

I'll post a link to the video that gave me an inside to a little battery math. Though it's just for AGM batteries. Lithium is a whole different ballgame. This video is by no means the end all be all. It's just a guide. There are a ton of other factors that go into deciding on electrical upgrades. 

One thing I like to do is (and if someone reads this and knows it's a stupid way of looking at it, speak up. I'm here to learn as well) look at the fusing of the amps. I couldn't find out anything for that Mmats amp as far as fusing, but let's say amplifier A has 2 internal 30 amp fuses, and amp B, the manufacturer recommends a 200 amp fuse. That's worse case scenario, you'll need 260 amps to power those 2 amps. (You'll most likely never need that much because of things like impedance rise and the dynamic nature of music) Any more than that for a decent amount of time, you'll burn through the fuse.

So, if you take the info from the video, along with the fuses, and take into account that's the maximum draw (that the normal user will probably never see), you can make an educated guess on what you need. 

Also, 1/0 wire can transfer up to (conservatively) 350 amps of current. Split into 2 4 awg wires should be fine for your application as long as those 2 amplifiers together don't need more than 350 amps to work. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived