Second Skin Audio

? About port area on overpowered ported box

36jere

So i have a couple resilient audio gold 12s 1000watts rms/2000watts max and a taramps smart 3k amp running them. The subs want 1.7-2.5ft3 each with 12-16sqin of port area per sub. Im running more than recommended power so im leaning  towards the smaller box probably (2.0ft3) is it a good idea to still give it 16sqin of port area or should i also go towards the lower end of the spectrum using only 12sqin? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Higher power takes more port area.  Since you are running more power you should increase your port area.  In my opinion 16 sq in per cube would be the minimum with a 2 cu ft per sub box.  If anything I'd be shooting for more towards 20 cu in per cube.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

To make sure i got this straight, amount of port area is dependent not only on the subwoofer but the amount of power running it also.

7 minutes ago, 36jere said:

To make sure i got this straight, amount of port area is dependent not only on the subwoofer but the amount of power running it also.

Yes, the sub, the box size, the power level, and the tuning frequency all impact how much port area you need.  Some of those things more than others.   

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived