Second Skin Audio

Old school Man Looking for New school help for Ground Pounding sub selection for standered cab Ford 2013 f150 Build. I want to go loud again!

This is also posted on car audio web as well. I hope you guys don`t mind me posting here. 

I'm old school spl 2002 era . I ran 2 rf bd1500 on 2 rf power hx2 15s I was hitting around 145 to 148avg on old mics and enjoyed it for every day music. I'm more geared towards quality sound ground pounding sound. I want it loud deep and smooth.

Im Not into spl anymore I want something loud and deep.

I currently run a dayton ho 12 in 1cubic foot sealed on 350 watts and not to thrilled. Go figure. So I got the bass itch again. I want to slam! . I own a 2014 f150 standard cab truck. I can fit 4.0 to 4.5 cubic box behind seats before displacement. Sub Mounting depth around 11 to 13max . I will make the box deeper on passenger side which is where i will place the sub. .

For power I'm assuming I will spend around 300-500 on amp so 1000-3000 rms power

For sub I have a limit to around 250-525. I want a single sub 15 inch sub . I wish 18 inch.

So Need help looking for a great loud decent sounding sub. From my hours of new school research I'm looking at

incriminator death penilty
incriminator deathrow

dc lvl 4

skar zvx
skar vxf

soundqbed hdx3
soundqbed hdx4

db apocolopse
sa305
sa275
sa255
3015r

sundown x
sundown z
sundown sa

americambass hd15

ffi

I want a sub comparable or better than the old rf power hx2 15. Rockfords top of the line subs are way overpriced for me and so is jl w6 and w7. Im open to all suggestions on subs.
Let me know what you think I should run.

With these new school full bridge amplifiers, if you're willing to upgrade your electrical, for $500 you can get something like a 5000 watt amp. You want to get loud for cheap, a's far as amplifiers, full bridge is the way to go in my opinion. You don't need 5000 watts, I'm just saying, their inexpensive. Sundown has a good full bridge line. The SFB's. There's also the SIA 3500.

Also, staying away from the specific brands because people all have their different opinions (I don't think any of those brands are terrible) with that space, I would think you'd probably get louder with 2 12's than a single 15". But I know some people just love their specific size. So 4.5 cubes on a single 15 with a full bridge amplifier and enough electrical support, you can be banging pretty good. 

That's my opinion anyway

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply. Would i get more response if i started a build log? im interested in herein about some sub recommendations. Im very surprised i have not gotten more response .  I prefer to stay with 1 sub to keep cost and power down. I trust peoples opinion   on the boards than the you tube videos and online reviews. I read your whole build thread and cant wait to see it all installed!

8 minutes ago, akalaw24 said:

Thank you for your reply. Would i get more response if i started a build log? im interested in herein about some sub recommendations. Im very surprised i have not gotten more response .  I prefer to stay with 1 sub to keep cost and power down. I trust peoples opinion   on the boards than the you tube videos and online reviews.

Build logs do get a lot of views (at least it seems that way, I'm fairly new to the forum myself).  It does seem like the forum was a little quiet over the weekend and forums in general aren't as busy as they were a decade ago (god, I'm getting old lol)

Like Dafaseles mentioned, unless you are married to the idea of a single 15, maybe consider a pair of 12s.  I'm running a pair of DD-Audio 700 series 12s in a custom box tuned to 28Hz on a 2500 watt amp and it's the hardest hitting/loudest system I've built for myself.  I actually need to start a thread here and see what the forum people like for an SPL meter that won't break the bank.  I'm curious what I'm hitting at.  If you twisted my arm, I would guess it's high 130s or low 140s, but that is just a guess.  I'll update my build log once I get an SPL meter and run some tests.

As Dafaseles also mentioned, everybody has their favorite brand or brands.  I try to be as unbiased as I can, at the end of the day I'm a fan of whatever works best for people.

There are a bunch of people on the forum who are running Skar equipment.  I tried to be a fan of Skar, but my personal experience was less than great.  I will say that I haven't tried any of their gear in the last 3-4 years, but I had problems with their MA-8 subs, their VD-10 subs and a couple of their RP-2000.1D amps.  The RP-2000.1Ds would overheat and go into protect FAST.  I set them with a DD-1 distortion detector to make sure they weren't going into clip and even in an amp rack with fans forcing air over them they would go into thermal protect.  There was a lot of talk online at the time about those amps having some QC issues causing the problem.

As for the MA-8s, they don't make them anymore.  At the time, they were the highest RMS rated 8" subs I could find, but that was years and years ago.  I had to return 2 of them for manufacturing defects causing mechanical noise, even at low power.

To be fair, the VD-10s were considered "shallow mount" 10s, I had 4 of them in a SuperCrew under-seat sealed box and had 2 of them fail pretty quickly.  I think they were over-rated in terms of their power handling.

I'll say again - all of my experiences with Skar are 4 or more years old, they may be top-notch these days, I've just not had the willingness to spend $$$ on their higher power subs.

DC subs can be pretty amazing and I've not heard of anyone having a bad experience with them.

I also really like CT Sounds and B2 Audio.  If you wanted to go with a single 15, CT Sounds has the Meso 15.  It's only rated at 1500 watts RMS though.  A pair of the Meso 12s would put you in the 3k range.  B2 has some straight up STUPID subs.  They recently released a 33" sub rated at 6k watts RMS which seems just insane to me.  Several of the people on the forum are also using Fi subs (including Dafaseles) and have nothing but good stuff to say about them, but they can be expensive.

Hopefully more people jump on this thread and share their opinions through the week.

Archived