2 strapped amps 2aubs

Want to get info on strapping amps before install and avoiding damage..

I have 2 audiopipe apmn 2000 amps

goind to run them with 2 skar evl 12s 2ohm dvc...

my question is, is it ok to run two subs on strapped amps? Everything I can find is saying strapping amps is mainly for one sub. Is this true?

also if the strapped amps run at 2 ohm final, and I wire the subs together at 2 ohms is that ending in 2 ohms at the amp or 1 ohm

What would you be gaining by strapping them? 

You have dual 2 ohm subs meaning you can wire each down to 1 ohm, or up to 4 ohm. So if you wire them each up to 4 ohm, then both into 1 amp, or 2 amps strapped, it would be a final 2 ohm load. But if you ask me, wire each down to 1 ohm, and run 2 amps separate. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

What would you be gaining by strapping them? 

You have dual 2 ohm subs meaning you can wire each down to 1 ohm, or up to 4 ohm. So if you wire them each up to 4 ohm, then both into 1 amp, or 2 amps strapped, it would be a final 2 ohm load. But if you ask me, wire each down to 1 ohm, and run 2 amps separate. 

From what I’ve seen so far the tuning would be easier if I’m wrong let me know.

Matching seems to be a challenge.I thought of running two separate but ran into the tuning issue. None of it is installed yet still have quite a few things to get before that happens

9 hours ago, Mazzi37 said:

From what I’ve seen so far the tuning would be easier if I’m wrong let me know.

Matching seems to be a challenge.I thought of running two separate but ran into the tuning issue. None of it is installed yet still have quite a few things to get before that happens

How will you be going about setting up your gains? 

9 hours ago, Mazzi37 said:

Also any suggestions on power like battery and alt any info helps..

What kind of car is it? 

2 hours ago, Mazzi37 said:

By ear honestly. That’s why I was gonna go with the strapping.

But again any other suggestions I will take. Its going in a pathfinder

So, I would say best method by far (also the most expensive) buy a DD1 and CC1. Find max volume on your head unit before clipping. Also on any DSP you're using. Then max gain on your amplifiers before clipping with the DD1. Use the CC1 to set your crossovers exactly where you want them, then use both in competition mode to gain match. Check them out, though I understand that the price might be a little high. In my opinion they're worth it. 

Another method is using an oscilloscope. Cheaper than a DD1/CC1 combo, but it doesn't do quite as much, quite as actually, and as easily as the DD1. Then looking at the sign waves, you can get close to gain matching the 2.

Third option is using a digital multimeter. There are videos on YouTube on how to use one for setting the gains. It's fairly easy, just a little math. Though you'll have no idea if you're clipping or not, it's still miles better than tuning by ear. 

In my opinion, unless you've been setting gains by ear for 20+ years and have dumb amounts of experience on what exactly to listen and look for, I'll never recommend setting gains by ear. Then again, I'll never tell an OG they should do something different either lol

4 hours ago, Mazzi37 said:

By ear honestly. That’s why I was gonna go with the strapping.

But again any other suggestions I will take. Its going in a pathfinder

if you are doing it by ear and the subs share airspace  strap the amps you only have to worry about adjusting things on one amp and subs getting same power

I was saying by ear only if I was to strap the amps.. but no longer have that in mind, going to go with 1 amp per sub..have been doing installs for a while but no where near og status lol..having one amp per sub is it possible to have both on the same universal bass knob with y splitter?yes the dd1 is pricey maybe I can source one either way I’m still doing research on that subject.

I don't recall that it does but do those amps have a variable potentiometer for phase? If so, strap the coils. Pick up a o-scope, even the little red guys for $20-$30 on amazon work just fine.  

I just remembered though you need a 2channel scope to match the phase. You can do it by feel too. Gain barely open and volume really low, you just need to feel the ever so slightest vibration....... wire the voice coils backwards on 1 amp, so they go against each other, adjust phase until the sub is perfectly still. Adjust one amp to see if movement gets better or worse to determine which one is out of phase, Obviously if it worsens, turn it back and adjust the other amp. 

(They are always out of phase especially if they are not sibling amps hence why they recommend not to strap amps unless bought together new and ran together. Components have typically a 5% +/-  tolerance which is huge, Components also have different break down properties and can become out of spec with one another simply because the silica was not of the exact same batch.)

To set frequency, play a test tone of your desired frequency and with a DMM on the outputs, watch the voltage as you adjust the potentiometer, once it peaks then starts to count down, dial back to that peak and there's frequency. Set frequencies before everything else. 

Archived