Zapco ST-X Series SQ Amplifiers

Arthur79

Has anybody here been able to listen to any of the Zapco ST-X SQ amps in a vehicle?  As far as I can tell, these are the "budget" line SQ amps from Zapco.  I am currently running DD Audio's C series class A/B amplifiers (which I think have been discontinued).  I'm using the C4.60 on a set of Tweeters and a set of AW3s with the C2.150 running a set of AW65s.

It looks like the DD C series A/B amps were "similarly" priced to the Zapco ST-X SQ, just wondering if moving to the "budget" Zapco SQ amps would be an improvement.

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...

I ran the zapco ST-4XSQ and a zapco ST1650 and from my experience , the ST line is good but not great. If you want better SQ within that budget i would suggest running US Acoustics ..better specs and sound for the money... but it wont sound its best with out running a DSP 

16 hours ago, 916ness said:

I ran the zapco ST-4XSQ and a zapco ST1650 and from my experience , the ST line is good but not great. If you want better SQ within that budget i would suggest running US Acoustics ..better specs and sound for the money... but it wont sound its best with out running a DSP 

Thanks!  I had all but given up on this thread ^_^

I have a DSP currently in the build, though I might consider swapping it out (it's a Cadence DSP) for an Audio Control DM-810 I have sitting on the shelf.  Was saving it for a different build, but it's not doing me any good just collecting dust in the box.

Have you done a side by side listening test and/or owned both the ST-4XQ and the US Acoustics?  I know I'm leaving a fair amount on the table in terms of quality with the 3-ways I currently have installed, and would love to get the best return on investment I can.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Arthur79 said:

Thanks!  I had all but given up on this thread ^_^

I have a DSP currently in the build, though I might consider swapping it out (it's a Cadence DSP) for an Audio Control DM-810 I have sitting on the shelf.  Was saving it for a different build, but it's not doing me any good just collecting dust in the box.

Have you done a side by side listening test and/or owned both the ST-4XQ and the US Acoustics?  I know I'm leaving a fair amount on the table in terms of quality with the 3-ways I currently have installed, and would love to get the best return on investment I can.

Thanks again!

yes I have and you barely can tell a deference because it comes down to tuning.. there is a guy with a skar set up and is kicking ass in the sq competitions because his staging, tuning, and  imaging is on par

12 hours ago, 916ness said:

yes I have and you barely can tell a deference because it comes down to tuning.. there is a guy with a skar set up and is kicking ass in the sq competitions because his staging, tuning, and  imaging is on par

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback!  As soon as the SSA APM-X SPL meter comes back in stock, I'm going to meter the current build and then rip a fair chunk of it out and go with an "SQL" focused build.  Will swap out all the DD Audio C-Series amps with the 6-channel Lanna by US Acoustics.  Then I just have to figure out the sub stage.  I would like to get the back seats back in the truck which means *maybe* a couple of 10" subs or several 6.5" subs in an under-seat box.

I was thinking it might be fun to try and figure out how to get one of the Audio Frog subs into the build.

Archived