Sonic Electronix

Grounding for trunk batteries....

Had to ask this because I can’t find anything on google, probably not searching right, so I have 3 batteries in trunk by subs/amps and does each battery needs its own ground correct? Or since their in parallel, could I just ground the battery that has my main power wires coming from the engine, and use that battery to ground the other two?. I have all 3 grounded to there own ground now and wanted to triple check. Any help or input would be super gnarly

thanks

11 hours ago, MaxPayne said:

Had to ask this because I can’t find anything on google, probably not searching right, so I have 3 batteries in trunk by subs/amps and does each battery needs its own ground correct? Or since their in parallel, could I just ground the battery that has my main power wires coming from the engine, and use that battery to ground the other two?. I have all 3 grounded to there own ground now and wanted to triple check. Any help or input would be super gnarly

thanks

Either way it's fine. Wiring them parallel essentially makes them 1 battery. You'd still need the same amount of grounding to ensure that you have enough, but it doesn't matter which battery or batteries it comes off of 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Word, I got all three grounded to frame. Amps grounded to frame to and not batts. My XX battery charger is trash btw, noticed this yesterday afternoon and so I put different charger on there and 😬😬 what a difference. 

One more thing just to quadruple check, I’d use the last battery in the parallel series for amps and not second or first right? Just trying to gain knowledge. I never have system on while truck off so I don’t have isolator. Man I have a billion questions no lie

1 hour ago, MaxPayne said:

One more thing just to quadruple check, I’d use the last battery in the parallel series for amps and not second or first right? Just trying to gain knowledge. I never have system on while truck off so I don’t have isolator. Man I have a billion questions no lie

It doesn't really matter which battery you get power from either. As long as you have sufficient power and ground cables running between them (or bus bars) the cells should all stay even throughout the battery bank. 

Ask away. We're down to help as much as we can

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, MaxPayne said:

Word homie, appreciate the knowledge my dude.  I had everything right but just wanted to double check. Anything to get that extra power 🤙🏻🤙🏻

Yessir! 

On 5/27/2021 at 4:59 AM, MaxPayne said:

Word, I got all three grounded to frame. Amps grounded to frame to and not batts. My XX battery charger is trash btw, noticed this yesterday afternoon and so I put different charger on there and 😬😬 what a difference. 

just to add to everything said here, you can absolutely connect the negative side of your amps to the batteries. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived