Sonic Electronix

2017 Lexus RX 350 - Help with tuning aftermarket sound system

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for your help as I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to car audio.

I had a shop install the following speakers in my 2017 Lexus RX350 and although it sounds good, I have a hunch that some additional tuning coupled with your guidance will allow me to unlock the full potential of the speakers.

Dash: Hertz Mille Pro MPK 165.3 1" tweeters

Doors (Front): Hertz Mille Pro MPK 165.3 6.5" woofer

Crossover installed in center console with wires running from each component to respective location on crossover (I believe it is a passive crossover)

Door (Rear): Hertz Mille Pro MPK 165.3 1" tweeters (top of door) and Hertz Mille Pro MPK 165.3 6.5" woofer (bottom of door)

Sub: Rockford Fosgate P3D4-10 in sealed enclosure

Amp: Rockford Fosgate P1000X5 amp

JL Audio FIX-86

Question specifically on setting gains, HP/LP, frequency, and punch EQ..

When I picked up the car from the shop, I noticed that my dash tweeters were crackling at higher volumes, which made me think either there was an issue with the crossover (defective) or it wasn't hooked up right. I spoke with the shop tech and he told me to adjust my gains in order to achieve the loudness I desired without distortion. Adjusting the gains in the front channel helped a bit, but still at high volumes it seems as though I'm getting some mids in my tweeter, which is causing it to distort. I have been told that these speakers can really bump and are very clear even at high volumes, but I'm not completely satisfied with the present sound I'm getting from the system. Should I be controlling the frequency (HP for highs) at the amplifier or set it to All Pass and let the crossover determine what frequency to send to each respective speaker? Also, the frequency on the amp goes from 50 Hz to 250 Hz, but the frequency range of the speakers is from 40 Hz - 22,5k, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to set this to get the most out of the speakers. To combat the distortion at high levels, I'm having to turn the factory head unit EQ mids very low in order to 'help' with distortion, but I feel as though that's more of a band-aid and really isn't solving the problem.

Here's how everything is wired:

speaker wires going from head unit to factory amp (pioneer) - we had to integrate this into the setup in order for nav and other on board functionality to continue working. From there, the shop made a t-harness and connected the speaker level inputs into the jl audio fix 86. From the fix 86, there are 3 channel of RCA outputs going into the p1000x5. 

Please let me know your thoughts on how to achieve optimal sound quality from my system.

Thank YOU

DC

tweets usually play from around 2.5k, up to 20,000k

mids 80hz-2.5k

subs, 80 on down

running active xovers is usually the best way to go.  does the crossover for your main speakers have different xover points?

fwiw, heres how to set amp gains.  the test tones are at the very bottom...

https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204374120-Amplifier-Level-Setting-Guide

Alpine 9887, Oz 180CS, RF R500X1D, 12" RE SE

id also contact JL and ask them if theres a way to not use that Pioneer amp, just use the JL DSP and RF amp.  cant hurt to ask.  they might know something your installer doesnt

Alpine 9887, Oz 180CS, RF R500X1D, 12" RE SE

Archived