Amm1 reading super low ohms on dyno

So i put it on dyno itll randomly pop up with a .01ohm and 1800 watts or something on low volume the sub will pop if i turn it up to much but i think thats ohm rise cause i have a to small a box for it amp is a rp2000. 1 sub is being ran at 1 ohm on a RS2000 platnum its brand new could the amp be bad? Or the amm1. 

1 hour ago, Sumtingwong said:

So i put it on dyno itll randomly pop up with a .01ohm and 1800 watts or something on low volume the sub will pop if i turn it up to much but i think thats ohm rise cause i have a to small a box for it amp is a rp2000. 1 sub is being ran at 1 ohm on a RS2000 platnum its brand new could the amp be bad? Or the amm1. 

Have you checked the voice coils of the sub? Maybe your sub is blown? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, Dafaseles said:

Have you checked the voice coils of the sub? Maybe your sub is blown? 

Nope its brand new but the last skar i had in it would do the popping thing aswell i didnt have the amm1 then but it was ran at 2ohms. The popping thing kinda slowly came in over time like itd pop at higher volumes and just had started doing it at lower and lower volumes

36 minutes ago, Sumtingwong said:

Nope its brand new but the last skar i had in it would do the popping thing aswell i didnt have the amm1 then but it was ran at 2ohms. The popping thing kinda slowly came in over time like itd pop at higher volumes and just had started doing it at lower and lower volumes

Are all your levels set to 0? No bass boost? The eq on the head unit is flat and no filters? 

34 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Are all your levels set to 0? No bass boost? The eq on the head unit is flat and no filters? 

I use to crank it with my past sub woofer for short times but ive kinda stopped that i turned bass boost off i think the gain is maxed and the HU output is maxed for the sub but i keep the bass knob at about 20%. Im looking at a used rebuilt taramps 12k for 650 what amp would you suggest for a 2k rms 4k max sub in a to small of box so maybe run 2.5rms if you think my amp is toast i suppose.. 

Turn your gain down. I understand you don't turn your bass knob up, but set your gains correctly and see if that helps. Hopefully your sub isn't toast already. Also, you have to make sure your low pass filter, and your high pass/ subsonic filter is set correctly. 

So you have 1 sub running off of a Skar RP2000.1 correct? Do you know the tuning of your enclosure? What sub are you running? 

So, obviously using a DD1 to set your gain and a CC1 to set your crossovers are the best way to go. Second, if you have an oscilloscope, that's a good way to set your gains as well. If you don't have access to either, set your gain with a digital multimeter. See if the pooping goes away. Turn your head unit up about 3/4's of the way up, turn your bass knob all the way up, then follow the instructions

23 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Turn your gain down. I understand you don't turn your bass knob up, but set your gains correctly and see if that helps. Hopefully your sub isn't toast already. Also, you have to make sure your low pass filter, and your high pass/ subsonic filter is set correctly. 

So you have 1 sub running off of a Skar RP2000.1 correct? Do you know the tuning of your enclosure? What sub are you running? 

So, obviously using a DD1 to set your gain and a CC1 to set your crossovers are the best way to go. Second, if you have an oscilloscope, that's a good way to set your gains as well. If you don't have access to either, set your gain with a digital multimeter. See if the pooping goes away. Turn your head unit up about 3/4's of the way up, turn your bass knob all the way up, then follow the instructions

I think what my issue is, is resistance rise from the box being to small and the amp clipping cause itll pop from like 800 watts to like 1500 but this doesnt explain why the amm1 will randomly show  .01ohm and super high watts randomly on the dyno it seems very random. The sub is a resillient sounds platinum 12 rated 2k rms and 4k max at 1ohm. Its reversed in the box which is 2cuft tuned to 36hz and the sub reccomended a box 2.5 to 3 cuft tuned to 36 which i ordered a 2.5cuft tuned to 44hz should work good right? 

Just now, Sumtingwong said:

I think what my issue is, is resistance rise from the box being to small and the amp clipping cause itll pop from like 800 watts to like 1500 but this doesnt explain why the amm1 will randomly show  .01ohm and super high watts randomly on the dyno it seems very random. The sub is a resillient sounds platinum 12 rated 2k rms and 4k max at 1ohm. Its reversed in the box which is 2cuft tuned to 36hz and the sub reccomended a box 2.5 to 3 cuft tuned to 36 which i ordered a 2.5cuft tuned to 44hz should work good right? 

Also when im watching it the ohms will shoot up through 2-8ohms and when it pops itll go really high

I don't know why it would show below 1 ohm. Whenever someone comes on here saying their DD1 or CC1 is acting up, we tell them to change the battery to a strong, name brand battery. 99% of the time, this works. Not saying it will fix this issue, but it couldn't hurt. The only other reason I can think of that this happens is your voice coil or coils are fried. Voice coils can read really low if they're burnt up. If neither of those are the case, then I don't know. I'm stumped. 

As far as the ohms going way up, yeah, impedance rise can double, triple, quadruple, so on and so forth. 

Without actually hearing the pop you talk about, I can only assume I know what sound you're talking about. And to me it sounds like the sub is clipping. I've heard of this happening when the loudness setting is on on the head unit, when the bass boost is turned up, when the gains are set too high, when the sub is unloading and hitting its mechanical limits, or if the electrical is insufficient and the amplifier is struggling. You can also check to make sure your RCA's are making a tight connection behind the deck, and into the amp. If those vibrate, it can sound awful. 

35 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I don't know why it would show below 1 ohm. Whenever someone comes on here saying their DD1 or CC1 is acting up, we tell them to change the battery to a strong, name brand battery. 99% of the time, this works. Not saying it will fix this issue, but it couldn't hurt. The only other reason I can think of that this happens is your voice coil or coils are fried. Voice coils can read really low if they're burnt up. If neither of those are the case, then I don't know. I'm stumped. 

As far as the ohms going way up, yeah, impedance rise can double, triple, quadruple, so on and so forth. 

Without actually hearing the pop you talk about, I can only assume I know what sound you're talking about. And to me it sounds like the sub is clipping. I've heard of this happening when the loudness setting is on on the head unit, when the bass boost is turned up, when the gains are set too high, when the sub is unloading and hitting its mechanical limits, or if the electrical is insufficient and the amplifier is struggling. You can also check to make sure your RCA's are making a tight connection behind the deck, and into the amp. If those vibrate, it can sound awful. 

The battery i put in it was a rayvac i think but it will always show 7volts ill change my rcas to more expensive ones i bought cause im using some cheap schoses right now. But i wanna supply the power the sub needs so i kinda wanna go overkill on a nice amp cause the skar will never give it all it can cause ohm rise. Should i get like a taramps 8k or something i dunno. And yeah i think the clipping was from the amp being pushed to hard i feel. Should i also ground my rcas while im back there or is that stupid 

Archived