Sonic Electronix

overlap when setting audiocontrol line driver

Hey everyone.  I was wondering the most accurate overlap setting with the dd-1 to set the initial pre out voltage to go into the amp from my audio control matrix plus line driver.  My sub amp accepts 6v in.  I set the output voltage from the line driver to 6v ac. using the 0db 40hz track.  Then, I changed tracks to the -10db overlap to match the gain on the amp, and the voltage went from 6v ac to 2v ac.  Should I use the -10db overlap track to initially set the output from the line driver, and then keep it on the -10 db overlap to match the gain instead? I haven't seen this information anywhere

instagram.com/installsbypat

I think I would just use the 0db track for the line driver. The way I see it, people usually don't use an overlap track to find the max undistorted volume of a head unit. And if you think about it, the line driver is just there to act as a "bump" for the head unit RCA's, so technically, they become the head unit RCA's. Not to mention you'd be already sending a clipped signal into your amplifier, so no matter what you do, no matter where your amp gain is set, you'll be clipping. 

Granted, this is just my opinion. I don't have any science or testing to back my opinion up. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

14 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I think I would just use the 0db track for the line driver. The way I see it, people usually don't use an overlap track to find the max undistorted volume of a head unit. And if you think about it, the line driver is just there to act as a "bump" for the head unit RCA's, so technically, they become the head unit RCA's. Not to mention you'd be already sending a clipped signal into your amplifier, so no matter what you do, no matter where your amp gain is set, you'll be clipping. 

Granted, this is just my opinion. I don't have any science or testing to back my opinion up. 

I was thinking this, keeping the 0 db track.  I got thrown off by the voltage dip afterwards that way and was thinking if i would benefit in any way using the same overlap id set the gain to. (-10db and -5 for the highs amp.)  Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

Two things:

1. use 0 dB for setting line driver

2. do you really need a line driver? 

Thank you. And well technically no, but I got a really good price on it.  My radio outputs 4v (avh-1550nex) and my amps accept up to 6v (crescendo symphony s4 and s1v2) so I was also just trying to match the max input. Thanks for the reply!

In my personal opinion, unless there is a need for a line driver (really low output voltage or a LOT of amps to drive) then you really don't get any benefits from a line driver and add a place to introduce noise into your system. 4v outputs are far and beyond more than enough for your system. If it was me, I would leave it out just to eliminate unnecessary components. 

That being said, if you keep it in and you don't introduce any extra noise to your system then it's not hurting anything to keep it. Tune it using 0db and you'll be good to go.  

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

10 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

In my personal opinion, unless there is a need for a line driver (really low output voltage or a LOT of amps to drive) then you really don't get any benefits from a line driver and add a place to introduce noise into your system. 4v outputs are far and beyond more than enough for your system. If it was me, I would leave it out just to eliminate unnecessary components. 

That being said, if you keep it in and you don't introduce any extra noise to your system then it's not hurting anything to keep it. Tune it using 0db and you'll be good to go.  

Understood.  I do not have any noise, and out of curiosity measured the rca's voltage going IN to the line driver from the deck.  It read 4.55v with the -0db tracks at both 1khz and 40hz, and dipped down just under 2 volts (1.77 iirc) when the corresponding -5 and -10 db overlap tracks were selected, the same behavior as if i never added it.  Only now i get another volt going into the amps due to the driver.  I appreciate your input and maybe this may help others in the future! 

Archived