Second Skin Audio

Will box/wall be an issue?

I’m building a wall/big box from my backseat possibly into my trunk for 2 18” zv5s but the fuel pump is smack dab in the way. My question is will the fuel pump hold up if I put the wall on top of it with all that weight? The subs say they call for something like 7cu each so aiming for 14 or close to it. Would it be better to start the wall behind the fuel pump in case it ever needs replacement and can I get that kind of space? My car is a 2015 Nissan Altima 

I’d stay behind the fuel pump or build over it to protect it if you want the wall closer. That’s what I’d do. Build a small enclosure to house the fuel pump bulge and that would be part of the enclosures floor. Ya feel me? Build that enclosure inside that car too. But you probably know that. You have to build that enclosures floor over that bulge so that enclosure isn’t ever touching the fuel pump. That’s the only way you are gonna be comfortable on the net volume. To figure the displacement of that bulge is to figure the inner measurements of that floor enclosure of that houses the bulge and then add 1.5” on each of the measurements and calculate on an online enclosure volume calculator on .75” wood thickness.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

7 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I’d stay behind the fuel pump or build over it to protect it if you want the wall closer. That’s what I’d do. Build a small enclosure to house the fuel pump bulge and that would be part of the enclosures floor. Ya feel me? Build that enclosure inside that car too. But you probably know that.

Thanks for the input, I like the idea of building a separate enclosure for the fuel pump to make a base for the actual enclosure, if I build behind the fuel pump do you think I could still get enough volume?

21 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I’d stay behind the fuel pump or build over it to protect it if you want the wall closer. That’s what I’d do. Build a small enclosure to house the fuel pump bulge and that would be part of the enclosures floor. Ya feel me? Build that enclosure inside that car too. But you probably know that. You have to build that enclosures floor over that bulge so that enclosure isn’t ever touching the fuel pump. That’s the only way you are gonna be comfortable on the net volume. To figure the displacement of that bulge is to figure the inner measurements of that floor enclosure of that houses the bulge and then add 1.5” on each of the measurements and calculate on an online enclosure volume calculator on .75” wood thickness.

Something like this?

7F377992-5310-42CA-A777-F8E3A72B793A.jpeg

Factory subwoofer enclosure recommendations work on that application. If you can fit 15-16.5 cubic feet of net volume in that application, the that’s better. So a tad more is better. If you can’t fit it, don’t worry. If you can’t fit 14 cubic foot net volume, don't worry. If you can’t fit 12 cubic foot of net volume, begin to worry on less output because of not enough volume to excel correctly and more impedance rise. Follow factory recommendations on port area.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

12 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Factory subwoofer enclosure recommendations work on that application. If you can fit 15-16.5 cubic feet of net volume in that application, the that’s better. So a tad more is better. If you can’t fit it, don’t worry. If you can’t fit 14 cubic foot net volume, don't worry. If you can’t fit 12 cubic foot of net volume, begin to worry on less output because of not enough volume to excel correctly and more impedance rise. Follow factory recommendations on port area.

I’ll keep that in mind thanks again for the input

Archived