Sundown Audio

amp ?

timbecht

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't know the brand. I'm amp shopping, saw them, and looked into them enough to stay away myself, but that's just me. From what I saw, they might be decent, but I don't like "might" myself, especially when spending money on something I want to be confident in. It looks like a fairly new brand as well so there isn't a lot of longevity info. Not saying they're no good, they may very well be but I decided not to take a chance. Seems to me to be just another lower end company trying to jump on the sales wagon. There's no shortage of those. Some may pan out to be good in the future, and some will just linger like Boss lol. Still others will just not make it. Only time will tell but I don't have the cash to be part of an experiment so I like to stick to the tried and true and I'll scrape and scrounge and save a little longer if that's what it takes. Patience is all. Another thing I see a lot of is even the trustworthy brands are starting to put cheap stuff out there to appeal to the sales of us lesser funded folks and I'm not against that, all companies need to do what they have to to keep sales up, but I'm trying to avoid those products as well because upon watching some of the vids where they open them up to check out the innards are pointing out that they are not much, if any, better than the budget brands from Amazon and eBay, etc.

Brand aside, it sounds like your set up will work pretty good if you have the right equipment and tune it well.

There are quite a few people here on the forum that run the larger Taramps mono amps.  They run a full-bridge power supply and are often referred to as Brazilian amps.  They've been around for a couple of 3 years, maybe a bit longer.  I've not used one and for a daily driver I still lean towards Class D and Class A/B, but other reputable brands like Sundown are starting to put out full-bridge amps which leads me to believe they are maturing/reliable enough for mainstream.   

If I were going to do a full system from scratch, I'd definitely be taking a serious interest in Sundown Audio, at least for the woofers. Toro Tech caught my eye at first for a newer up and coming company and then while I was researching them I found Sundown Audio. But then I was looking at my funding for my car audio and had to rethink things so now I'm just adding a second driver to match the one I already have that has been a surprisingly solid banger for over 2 years, upgrading the amp to push them and modifying a box that I got from a buddy.

Archived