Second Skin Audio

How to bring my tuning down

So I let another guy design my box as I was having trouble, now the box is finished and playing. He put a “adjustable port”. I checked the tuning using test tones and It looks like 46 hz 😭

the subwoofers are 2 18” sundown x18

if I shorten the port will that help? I’m really trying to crush lows, I was wanting it tuned at about 32

alsi it was supposed to be a wall and ended up as a big box…. Any advice is very much appreciated. He charged me 1200 to make the “wall” for me 

image.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Longer port length equals lower tuning, so you would have to extend that port but make sure it’s the same distance from any inner wall as the height of that port. That’s not sealed off either. So you need to put another beauty baffle, double to triple beauty baffled, at least, on the front and fill with expanding foam in leaky areas. Then carpet the front with black carpet with spray-on adhesive or finish with black bed liner spray. It’ll hide the expanding foam.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

There’s no way to check tuning unless you are familiar with measuring enclosures. You can’t tell with test tones. Smd makes a device that can read the frequency level of an enclosure. My homeboy told me about it. Then I looked into it and smd offers that meter.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

There’s no way to check tuning unless you are familiar with measuring enclosures. You can’t tell with test tones. Smd makes a device that can read the frequency level of an enclosure. My homeboy told me about it. Then I looked into it and smd offers that meter.

Ah ok I saw jacobviral say you could get a rough estimate by using tones so I assumed it was true, thank you for the information

4 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Making that beauty baffle thicker would lower the tuning because it would be extending the port length.

So are yo saying to foam around the enclosure to seal it off into a “wall” the carpet it up?

1 minute ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Just layer up a beauty baffle and seal it off and carpet it and do flat black touch up. That would lower your tuning and raise your spl.

33 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Making that beauty baffle thicker would lower the tuning because it would be extending the port length.

Hopefully this gives a better idea of how the box is designed, there is a space between the topside of the port and the topside of the box also there is no bracing of any kind to stop the box from flexing or moving sadly. And I feel like I should be vibrating things alot more than I am. Currently it’s wired at 4 ohm to the amps so 2 each, but I’m actually seeing about 5-5.5 according to my multimeter

FA50E7A5-E003-4315-810A-A62A5B2E05AE.jpeg

9BCB7181-CC5C-413C-A7F1-77DC6B20090F.jpeg

2997DBA5-BE08-4A2E-A4AD-056758AB0834.jpeg

Archived