Second Skin Audio

How to bring my tuning down

Make a beauty baffle that covers the gap at that headliner and then make extensions on the outer port like he did, but add more, seal up, then carpet that beauty baffle and spray paint that port flat black and other areas if needed. You would need 2 types of adhesive, wood adhesive and spray on adhesive, silicone, screws, spray paint, expanding foam, black carpet and a couple sheets of mdf.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

17 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Make a beauty baffle that covers the gap at that headliner and then make extensions on the outer port like he did, but add more, seal up, then carpet that beauty baffle and spray paint that port flat black and other areas if needed. You would need 2 types of adhesive, wood adhesive and spray on adhesive, silicone, screws, spray paint, expanding foam, black carpet and a couple sheets of mdf.

🙏 thank you

You are welcome. Note, use a big piece of card board to make a template to cut a tight fit beauty baffle. You have to seal it too, of course. Fuck paying somebody too much money, I know you can do it, it just mentally seems harder than it actually is.

3 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

There’s no way to check tuning unless you are familiar with measuring enclosures. You can’t tell with test tones. Smd makes a device that can read the frequency level of an enclosure. My homeboy told me about it. Then I looked into it and smd offers that meter.

The AMM-1 

Listen the my guy right here, he knows his sh*t

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 6/26/2021 at 1:45 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

There’s no way to check tuning unless you are familiar with measuring enclosures. You can’t tell with test tones. Smd makes a device that can read the frequency level of an enclosure. My homeboy told me about it. Then I looked into it and smd offers that meter.

An AMM-1 is a super cool tool, I used to have one, but you ABSOLUTELY CAN TELL TUNING FREQUENCY WITH JUST SINE WAVE TONES.  I do it on literally every box I build.  Its easier to do with a sine wave tone generator vs straight up test tones, but it can be done with both.  You don't need to buy any tools to do this.

As you are playing sine wave tones and you get closer to the tuning frequency the cone will move less and less.  The easiest way to do this is to play at moderate volume and just lightly feel the cone with your hand.  At the tuning frequency the cone movement will nearly (but not completely) stop.  If you go too far you will know it since cone movement will increase again.  With a sine wave tone generator app on your phone this whole process takes like 10 seconds.  Its that easy.    You can also measure you tuning frequency using sine wave tones and a multimeter, but the "feel the cone" method works just as well and is faster.   

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On 6/26/2021 at 2:24 PM, DallasBass91 said:

Hopefully this gives a better idea of how the box is designed, there is a space between the topside of the port and the topside of the box also there is no bracing of any kind to stop the box from flexing or moving sadly. And I feel like I should be vibrating things alot more than I am. Currently it’s wired at 4 ohm to the amps so 2 each, but I’m actually seeing about 5-5.5 according to my multimeter

FA50E7A5-E003-4315-810A-A62A5B2E05AE.jpeg

9BCB7181-CC5C-413C-A7F1-77DC6B20090F.jpeg

2997DBA5-BE08-4A2E-A4AD-056758AB0834.jpeg

Thats a bummer the tuning came out too high.  At least its a removeable port so you at least have a chance.  Like others have said, you are going to need to lengthen your port.  Unfortunately to get it from 46 down to the low 30s its going to take a MUCH longer port.  

Honestly if it were me I'd take the box right back to your builder and tell him to make it right.  It make take a complete rebuild.   

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

On 6/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

The meter is the SMD IM-SG+  It's a great tool and measuring box tuning frequency with it is super easy to do.   I would totally recommend it for anybody that builds more than just a handful of boxes and a must have for shops that build custom enclosures.

Amazon.com: SMD IM-SG+ (Impedance Meter/Signal Generator Plus): Car  Electronics

3 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

An AMM-1 is a super cool tool, I used to have one, but you ABSOLUTELY CAN TELL TUNING FREQUENCY WITH JUST SINE WAVE TONES.  I do it on literally every box I build.  Its easier to do with a sine wave tone generator vs straight up test tones, but it can be done with both.  You don't need to buy any tools to do this.

As you are playing sine wave tones and you get closer to the tuning frequency the cone will move less and less.  The easiest way to do this is to play at moderate volume and just lightly feel the cone with your hand.  At the tuning frequency the cone movement will nearly (but not completely) stop.  If you go too far you will know it since cone movement will increase again.  With a sine wave tone generator app on your phone this whole process takes like 10 seconds.  Its that easy.    You can also measure you tuning frequency using sine wave tones and a multimeter, but the "feel the cone" method works just as well and is faster.   

You learn something new everyday. Kudos.

34 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

The meter is the SMD IM-SG+  It's a great tool and measuring box tuning frequency with it is super easy to do.   I would totally recommend it for anybody that builds more than just a handful of boxes and a must have for shops that build custom enclosures.

Amazon.com: SMD IM-SG+ (Impedance Meter/Signal Generator Plus): Car  Electronics

Looks like we all make mistakes sometimes lol

Holy shit, that's a poorly built box. No bracing whatsoever, especially for the amount of power you're going to be pushing. Not only that... there is like no slot to the port. The port extends what? a couple of inches... it is tuned so high. Triticum Agricolam is right on point. There is no saving that box, your port would have to extend to the window to get it down as low as you want. 

Archived