Second Skin Audio

Is there any reason not to build my enclosure with a slanted port and 2 bends? Pics in post

Hey all, I just acquired a new civic hatch and of course, want to add some subs. I've been playing with the torres calc and lurking through old posts, but I haven't come across any designs like the one I'm planning. I'm wondering if there's any reason not to build this way? the port length is correct, measured at the center height line. Only thing I guess I'd be worried about is my port ratio, as it's over 4:1, or should this be a non-issue? The subs going in will be the demon 10", run at 1ohm to an old hifonics brutus 1200.1D amp that claims 1200w at that resistance. 

Civic Hatch Box Calculations.jpg

civic hatch box rear view.jpg

civic hatch box front view.jpg

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

On 7/2/2021 at 6:45 PM, MrSkippyJ said:

What I would be worried about is the top and bottom of your port are different lengths.

This really doesn't matter much.

When dealing with an angled port wall as such all you do is calculate the port length by measuring down the middle of the height.
So if the top of the port is 20 inches long and the bottom of the port is 30 inches long that would make the middle of the port length 25 inches long and that is the length you use.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:07 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

How many enclosures have you seen with more than one bend that wasnt a t-line enclosure? None. Why? Because it’s not that good.

A pretty few that had really good output, First one I was really impressed that a ten sounded like it did in a huge as van..  can’t make out his picture I was talking about labyrinth ports 

Thanks for all the replies guys, guess I'm gunna go ahead an build it and see what happens. Will update with progress as the build comes along!

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

• 5 weeks later...

I'm also going to be building an enclosure exactly like this. Only item I ran into while designing the port was the width/height ratio on the portion of the port along the back wall. The steeper the angle, the taller the height became. It took quite a bit of trial and error to finally get a design that didn't cause that portion of the port to have a ratio close to 1:8.

Archived