Sundown Audio

Tuning my QClass L7 15

IceCityBR

New here. Hey guys what is the best test tone to tune my Q Class L7 15inch 1200rms. My hu goes up to 40vol, I had it tuned at 28vol with a 40hz test tone and I got pretty decent low bass rumble but it wasn't loud enough for me so I decided to tune at 30vol with a 50hz test tone and it got a little louder but it stopped hitting the lower bass like I wanted it to. I'm thinking of using a 35hz test tone with vol at 30. So it's as loud as I want and it's hitting that lower bass like I want. What should my sub settings be on my hu when I do this? As of now on everything is is flat on the hu except for the sub settings wich are at 80hz and hu sub level gain up half way (12 and it goes up to 24)... I'm using an Orion 1500.1dz wired to 2 ohms, they state that wattage is 975rms at 2ohms but has dyno tested at 1205rms which is why I chose the amp in the first place.. I'm using a multimeter. My Oscilloscope arrives later today. Can I use a 35hz to get the sound I'm looking for? Below is the amp I'm using and a pic of my hu sub settings.

20210708_074926.jpg

20210708_082939_HDR.jpg

Just a couple questions, 

What head unit are you using? 

What are your amp crossover settings set to? (LPF and HPF/ subsonic filter) (a picture would help as well) 

What does your electrical consist of? (At least big 3?)

And approx what is the box tuned at? (I'm assuming it's ported) 

The oscilloscope will help when tuning a lot. You'll be able to actually see what's going on with the sound waves. I personally would have all settings set flat, that way you know there's no clipping happening. 

My experience with kicker has been they don't really like the low notes much to begin with, but it should service you at least decently on music. Usually people set gains on a sub amp with a 40 hz test tone at -10db. Or -5 if you want to 100% safe. 40 hz because it's pretty much the midpoint between the low and the high side of what you'll be feeding it. But I've heard of people using different tones. It's not unheard of. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I can't imagine why there would be a difference in output based only on using any of the 3 tones you mentioned. Your headunit output shouldn't be different, you need to find the maximum clean output and use that setting. If you are using a sub-out you need to find it's max clean setting as well. Use that volume, set your EQ to flat and crossovers to off or max settings, then pick one of the 3 tones you mentioned. 40hz is pretty standard and what most people use, but 35 or 50 shouldn't have an affect on where your gain is set.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

My gain and subsonic are about 1/3 of the way up. This is with a 50hz test tone and measuring 48.9v on the multimeter. I don't have a big3. My Alt is 260 standard I believe (2013 Chevy Malibu) I'm going to pick up a yellotop Optima later today so that should help. 

20210708_151146.jpg

So, if I see it right in the picture, your subsonic filter can either be set to off or 25 hz. I would go ahead and spin that bass boost dial all the way off. That can introduce distortion into the signal. 

Tuning with different levels isn't really going to give you any more output at that certain level like @MrSkippyJsaid. It doesn't quite work that way. any gains you would get would be minimal and probably inaudible. 

Tune the amp again using a -10db test tone and see if that helps. Tuning with a -db test tone is more close to the level music is recorded at. Use your oscilloscope to find the max distortion free volume of your head unit, and use that volume to tune at. 

Do you have an aftermarket head unit? Or are you using the stock head unit and a line out converter? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived