2015 GM Truck Alternator Duty Bypass?

I have a 2015 Silverado with a Mechman 370 amp alt and 2 XS Power batteries. I did a Big 2 with all 1/0 wires. I routed the ground through the donut then straight to the Alt case. The second battery is also grounded to the Alt case. Everything is fine but this GM smart charge system keeps the truck at 13.5-13.7 volts after like 15min of driving which is normal. Its meant to do that. My question is how can I make the it stay around 14.5 volts? Are there any external regulators for GM just so I can bypass this system to keep the truck at higher volts? 

On my 2011,I can just turn on the lights (I have to take it out of the automatic option during the day and actually set it to on) and it stays at 14.7. If you're looking for more of a bypass type solution, I don't know it. But the lights truck works for me at least

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

14 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

On my 2011,I can just turn on the lights (I have to take it out of the automatic option during the day and actually set it to on) and it stays at 14.7. If you're looking for more of a bypass type solution, I don't know it. But the lights truck works for me at least

Hmm, It doesnt really work for me. Is there any external regulators where i can control the voltage that can work for GM? And by control, I want to set it at 14.5 and throw it to the side lol

That is absolutely  an option. You'd have to get a hold of mechman to get the correct external regulator for your alternator. If you go that direction though, since (if I remember correctly) your vehicle plug at the top will have to be disconnected, the battery light will come on. I can't remember off the top of my head which video it is exactly, but one of the earlier YouTube videos of Steve Meade's escalade system install (I want to say it's one that he's installing the alternator in it), he uses a specific diode or resistor or something connected to the vehicle plug to fool the ECU and get rid of the battery light on the dash. Sorry, I'm at work, or I'd find the video for you. 

I am about to do this to my 2016 Yukon.  Would it be worth investigating the development of an aftermarket voltage sensor??  I have been researching this for months and have yet to find a 'good' solution.

I don't know how an aftermarket voltage sensor would work, but I would think you'd have to reprogram the ECU so it wouldn't control it anymore? I don't know. I just decided that, even though I'm pushing almost 10k watts, I'm just going to deal with the stock voltage regulator. I'm not doing competitions, so really it's not a big deal to me. 

Steve Meade and his 16v escalade, he just bypassed it by running an external regulated alternator. That seems easier to me than maybe having to reprogram the trucks brain. But then again, it could be easy as hell. 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, Dafaseles said:

That is absolutely  an option. You'd have to get a hold of mechman to get the correct external regulator for your alternator. If you go that direction though, since (if I remember correctly) your vehicle plug at the top will have to be disconnected, the battery light will come on. I can't remember off the top of my head which video it is exactly, but one of the earlier YouTube videos of Steve Meade's escalade system install (I want to say it's one that he's installing the alternator in it), he uses a specific diode or resistor or something connected to the vehicle plug to fool the ECU and get rid of the battery light on the dash. Sorry, I'm at work, or I'd find the video for you. 

Yeah same sorry for the late response. It sounds like its a little tough on GM. I only see regulators for Dodge. I would get a universal one but im not too sure if the electrical system on these trucks will happy with it

Just now, Zori.L83 said:

Yeah same sorry for the late response. It sounds like its a little tough on GM. I only see regulators for Dodge. I would get a universal one but im not too sure if the electrical system on these trucks will happy with it

If you go externally regulated, you'll be bypassing the trucks regulator all together. Almost making it its own entity. If you haven't already (and at the risk of just sounding like a fan boy) watch Steve Meade's videos on YouTube of him changing the alternator on his escalade. I think there's 2 or 3. He uses an externally regulated alternator and talks about his fix to keep the battery light on the dash board from always being on. I think that'll be able to point you in the right direction of what you want to do. He uses it for a 16 volt system, but the voltage doesn't matter, it's the application I think you're looking for. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

4 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

If you go externally regulated, you'll be bypassing the trucks regulator all together. Almost making it its own entity. If you haven't already (and at the risk of just sounding like a fan boy) watch Steve Meade's videos on YouTube of him changing the alternator on his escalade. I think there's 2 or 3. He uses an externally regulated alternator and talks about his fix to keep the battery light on the dash board from always being on. I think that'll be able to point you in the right direction of what you want to do. He uses it for a 16 volt system, but the voltage doesn't matter, it's the application I think you're looking for. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

Its all good brother thank you. I just want to bump it up a volt so my bass can get the power it deserves lol. Ill watch those vids and keep digging to see what else i can find. 

Archived