Second Skin Audio

Mixed up about subs! Kinda....

ehall8702

So I've had 3 ab tnt 15s ( 1500 watt rms version not the 800rms ones) for over a year now, I love em too! Long story short , I'm putting a new cab on my truck frame and want to go with a b pillar wall with 4 15s. Unfortunately ab dropped the tnts I have. I believe it was replaced with the titan line. The titans have quite different t/s specs than the tnts. The xfls r closer and the hawks are close also. I think ultimately I'd like to end up with 4 better subs. Would I be ok to add say an xfl to the 3 tnts and then as I get funds add a new xfl as I can afford em? Or would I be better to just plug off (or not cut )the 4th hole till I have 4 matching subs? I'm already severely overpowering these tnts and adding another 4 cubes to thier box would probably do em in. 

So basically I'm asking this, is there one t/s parameter I should be looking at that makes different subs "compatible"? I know it's not recommended but I'm at the point I have to make a decision of what's going to happen in the new cab bc I'll be building the box inside the cab this time and that determines what's going to happen to which interior parts as it goes together. Already ordered 100sqft of  sound deadening too, gonna make this one solid!

Thoughts on 4th or 6th order with what I have already? Like I said I'm already way over powered as it is.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

33 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

So I've had 3 ab tnt 15s ( 1500 watt rms version not the 800rms ones) for over a year now, I love em too! Long story short , I'm putting a new cab on my truck frame and want to go with a b pillar wall with 4 15s. Unfortunately ab dropped the tnts I have. I believe it was replaced with the titan line. The titans have quite different t/s specs than the tnts. The xfls r closer and the hawks are close also. I think ultimately I'd like to end up with 4 better subs. Would I be ok to add say an xfl to the 3 tnts and then as I get funds add a new xfl as I can afford em? Or would I be better to just plug off (or not cut )the 4th hole till I have 4 matching subs? I'm already severely overpowering these tnts and adding another 4 cubes to thier box would probably do em in. 

So basically I'm asking this, is there one t/s parameter I should be looking at that makes different subs "compatible"? I know it's not recommended but I'm at the point I have to make a decision of what's going to happen in the new cab bc I'll be building the box inside the cab this time and that determines what's going to happen to which interior parts as it goes together. Already ordered 100sqft of  sound deadening too, gonna make this one solid!

Thoughts on 4th or 6th order with what I have already? Like I said I'm already way over powered as it is.

Me personally, I'd wait. If the subs aren't exactly the same, you could run into sound problems. That being said, you can do it if you want. You could add a 12" MTX sub if you wanted. But the same exact sub is always preferred. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I know that's what I should do but it sucks! I think I may split the box into 2 chambers with semi shared port so I can atleast run two of each model. They r pretty close in specs too but I'm not sure which spec is the most important to make them play nice and don't wanna kill sum or all subs bc I wasn't looking at the right spec. Worse case I'll be running 3 in enuff airspace for 4 15s and have to dial the gain back so I don't kill em.

Thanks for the Input! So now which model to go with? The hawks,titans, xrs, and xfls r what I'm eyeing. I've had xr and xfls so I know they r solid asf. Reading good things about both the hawks and titans tho.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

1 hour ago, ehall8702 said:

I know that's what I should do but it sucks! I think I may split the box into 2 chambers with semi shared port so I can atleast run two of each model. They r pretty close in specs too but I'm not sure which spec is the most important to make them play nice and don't wanna kill sum or all subs bc I wasn't looking at the right spec. Worse case I'll be running 3 in enuff airspace for 4 15s and have to dial the gain back so I don't kill em.

Thanks for the Input! So now which model to go with? The hawks,titans, xrs, and xfls r what I'm eyeing. I've had xr and xfls so I know they r solid asf. Reading good things about both the hawks and titans tho.

Me personally, you already have an 8000.1 at 2 ohm, so I'd do whatever off those subs do between 3000-4000 watts rms, buy another 8000.1, and sell the 3 15's you won't be using to help pay for the upgrade. 

There isn't really 1 specific t/s parameters that you can pay attention to. It's all of them. The suspension, the motor strength, the electrical, the voice coil exact impedance, rms, the weight of the cone, all of it. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived