Before you pack up, yeah, not too many 18k shop build going down unless you're doing show cars. Car audio isn't that big here either. If you even want to go to any competitions, there's usually 1 or 2 a year an hour away in Sacramento, or there's a couple if you feel like driving 4 hours south. 

90% of the builds here, the customer wants a 12 or 2 in some prefab garbage because they don't see the need in spending the money. 

Also, there's the issue of cost of living. 2 years ago, I bought my 1500 ish square foot 3/1 on about a 6000 square foot lot for $748,000. 3 weekends ago, my neighbors sold their almost 1100 square foot 2/1 with one of the weirdest layouts I've seen, on about the same size lot, for just under $900,000😳. RIDICULOUS! Gas right now is just over $4 a gallon for cheap cheap gas. I mean, fast food restaurants don't even have a dollar menu, it's a $1.42 menu🤣. Not to mention our governor signed into act that by 2030 (I think) California won't sell anymore new internal combustion engine vehicles. So, slowly but surely, the ability for big, fun builds will fade. Sad really. I'm going to have to fight to keep my truck in good working order. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Before you pack up, yeah, not too many 18k shop build going down unless you're doing show cars. Car audio isn't that big here either. If you even want to go to any competitions, there's usually 1 or 2 a year an hour away in Sacramento, or there's a couple if you feel like driving 4 hours south. 

90% of the builds here, the customer wants a 12 or 2 in some prefab garbage because they don't see the need in spending the money. 

Also, there's the issue of cost of living. 2 years ago, I bought my 1500 ish square foot 3/1 on about a 6000 square foot lot for $748,000. 3 weekends ago, my neighbors sold their almost 1100 square foot 2/1 with one of the weirdest layouts I've seen, on about the same size lot, for just under $900,000😳. RIDICULOUS! Gas right now is just over $4 a gallon for cheap cheap gas. I mean, fast food restaurants don't even have a dollar menu, it's a $1.42 menu🤣. Not to mention our governor signed into act that by 2030 (I think) California won't sell anymore new internal combustion engine vehicles. So, slowly but surely, the ability for big, fun builds will fade. Sad really. I'm going to have to fight to keep my truck in good working order. 

Yea, that's bonkers.  I knew real-estate out there was insane along with general cost of living I used to be out there a couple times a year (before the world got turned upside down) for conferences etc.  The new day job I started a few weeks ago is headquartered out there but they are taking a cautious/measured approach to re-opening/travel/etc so it sounds like it will be next year before the office is opened up for general travel.

I had read something somewhere about Cali passing or working to pass some pretty aggressive legislation around ICE car regulations.  The catalyst for tooling up my shop actually centers around some mad scientist experiments I've been conducting having to do with opening up conventional car audio to a certain popular US EV manufacturer's cars.  It's still not something I'm openly talking about, but rest assured I'll be posting some pretty in-depth build logs when I'm ready to "go public" with what I've been working on.

It will be an interesting transition to say the least.  The way I'm approaching it is "that's a honking big a$$ traction battery, I just have to figure out how to safely get at that stored energy without pissing off the car"

Even still, it will take time to get to the same epic level as builds like what you and others on the forum are doing, and it will be a whole new beast/breed 20 years from now. 

51 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Yea, that's bonkers.  I knew real-estate out there was insane along with general cost of living I used to be out there a couple times a year (before the world got turned upside down) for conferences etc.  The new day job I started a few weeks ago is headquartered out there but they are taking a cautious/measured approach to re-opening/travel/etc so it sounds like it will be next year before the office is opened up for general travel.

I had read something somewhere about Cali passing or working to pass some pretty aggressive legislation around ICE car regulations.  The catalyst for tooling up my shop actually centers around some mad scientist experiments I've been conducting having to do with opening up conventional car audio to a certain popular US EV manufacturer's cars.  It's still not something I'm openly talking about, but rest assured I'll be posting some pretty in-depth build logs when I'm ready to "go public" with what I've been working on.

It will be an interesting transition to say the least.  The way I'm approaching it is "that's a honking big a$$ traction battery, I just have to figure out how to safely get at that stored energy without pissing off the car"

Even still, it will take time to get to the same epic level as builds like what you and others on the forum are doing, and it will be a whole new beast/breed 20 years from now. 

Have you checked this out? Pretty interesting, but dude even says it's quite unstable and dangerous

17 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Have you checked this out? Pretty interesting, but dude even says it's quite unstable and dangerous

I had not seen this, it's very interesting.  I was hoping for a demo - can't help but wonder what he's metering out to.  I love how he kept stressing that it was extremely dangerous (and rightly so).  So I "did the math" and when he blew that 350a master fuse on the 400v side - he was drawing 140k watts from the traction battery.  That is completely insane...

2 hours ago, WillieG said:

I need to find 2 Kicker GL7120 grills for my box.  Help!!!!!!

I can't speak to the reputability of this site, but they seem to have them in stock for a reasonable price:

https://www.taxtreeh.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=376108

2 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

I had not seen this, it's very interesting.  I was hoping for a demo - can't help but wonder what he's metering out to.  I love how he kept stressing that it was extremely dangerous (and rightly so).  So I "did the math" and when he blew that 350a master fuse on the 400v side - he was drawing 140k watts from the traction battery.  That is completely insane...

Nuts right? But as of right now, I feel like this is the only hope for the first step towards big systems in EV's. Obviously, they have to make is safer and more accessible to normal people without a PHD in electrical use lol. But hey, it's a start. I just hope it doesn't end with that. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2021 at 1:32 AM, Dafaseles said:

Thought car audio was expensive before sounds like a pretty penny now

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400