Second Skin Audio

6x9 enclosure, vented or sealed?

CorNut

I have a single rail PC power supply I turned into a 62A 12v power source. I'm building a shop radio, it'll be a boom box style with a Kicker CompR 10 and a couple Rockford P1692 6x9's. Will I benefit if I built them portions tuned to ~80hz or should I just seal them? 

If you're interested, the amps I'm running are a Banda bd250.2 (~10A) for the 6x9's and a Kicker CXA400.1 (~50A) for the sub. For the source, I'm using a Dayton DSP-408 with the optional AptX bluetooth adapter so I can stream from my phone. The DSP has an optional wall adapter so it can be used on wall power or 12v, I'll be plugging it into the wall to retain more 12v headroom for the amps. I review electronics for an online retailer, the most recent item they sent for review is the PSU I'm using. I'm doing this to test/make sure it supplies the rated 62A, but in the end I think it'll be a neat radio to have in the shop.

20210626_180801.jpg

I don't think you'll really gain anything audible using ported or sealed. Maybe if you tune them to 80 hz, you'll get a slight peak around that level, but I don't see it being dramatic at all. If even audible. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

+1 on Dafaseles's take.  I don't think the juice would be worth the squeeze to design and build the ported enclosures for the 6x9s given that they are going to be paired with a 400w sub stage.  Go 80 Hz and down on the sub and 80 Hz and up on the 6x9s and get straight to enjoying some music.

Way back in the mid 90s, I had a pair of Kenwood 6x9s in some carpeted pre-fab sealed 6x9 enclosures running off a 50x2 RMS amplifier in a Chevy Cavalier wagon.  I remember being really impressed with how good they sounded and how much output they managed.

LoL, hadn't thought about that rust bucket or those speakers in along time.  Would love to see the whole setup once you get it done.  Converting a PC PSU to run a 12v shop stereo is a pretty cool project!

On 7/18/2021 at 9:31 PM, Arthur79 said:

Would love to see the whole setup once you get it done.  Converting a PC PSU to run a 12v shop stereo is a pretty cool project!

I'll be doing a test run for the PSU review this weekend. I know it supplies 12V but I'll use an ammeter to see if it supplies its rated 62A. Parts Express says the DSP won't be in-stock until 8/31, my order's in so hopefully it arrives ahead of schedule. I already have the other parts, most of it is old/used stuff, I'll post the build when it's done but that won't happen until Sept according to Parts Express.

Archived