Second Skin Audio

Ideas for new setup needed

ehall8702

you can do four of these deaf bounce apocalypse db-sa275 15's for 280 bucks each and they handle 1500 each and have a low fs.

https://alphardaudio.us/collections/db-sa250-270-300-1000-2000-rms/products/eta-feb-27th-apocalypse-db-sa275-d1-d2

or these Apocalypse DB-SA305 D1/D2 | 15" Subwoofers at 350 each per 15 but they handle 2000 rms each perfect for your taramps md 8k.

https://alphardaudio.us/collections/db-sa250-270-300-1000-2000-rms/products/eta-feb-27th-apocalypse-db-sa305-d1-d2

20 minutes ago, stingray72 said:

Ill be honest the four 15 idea is like 45 percent more cone area than two 18's and if you port it and tune low it will be super nasty....maybe even break your windshield.

Funny u say that, my 4 hds2.108s on 3k cracked my window, just watched the crack grow and grow lol. Was tuned at 30hz with a TON of port area, got videos on utube , and yeah I've been trying to make a decision , oviously like displacement, cone area is king! I love ab subs, been eyeing the xr 15s and the titan 15s (they have 4" vc) and the xfls too...I'd like 4 hd 15s but gonna put me out if budget . My 3 tnts floated shirts and stuff with one window down and port in passenger, this box has almost 3.5 cubes of port area, a kid can almost crawl in it. Triticums port calculator has definitely proven true for me with both the 4 8s and the 3 15s. Will have to check into a few u mentioned, bandpass puts me into an area where I don't have alot of experience , but I been building ported enclosures for almost 20 years,I got an idea or two on how to build em.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Been eyeing the savard hiq 18s , could fit 4 of those in a b pillar too, 1500rms but what I've read they good for 2k each, after rise I'd be in a safe place for 4 of em, and they want about 4 cubes each, leaves room for alot of port area too.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

2 hours ago, ehall8702 said:

Yeah on a side note I'm scared to spend my money on skar, was looking at the evl 18s but I've cooked 3 different ix series skar subs on rated power and amp tuned with dd1 and set with cc1 so Idk if I'd spend hard earned cash on skar yet.

Yeah, when it out comes to Skar, I either hear they're amazing and why would anyone use anything but, or exactly what you said. Never really an in between lol. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

16 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Yeah, when it out comes to Skar, I either hear they're amazing and why would anyone use anything but, or exactly what you said. Never really an in between lol. 

Unfortunately every time one cooked , it was an install for a customer so I had to replace sub out of pocket bc they weren't going to wait on replacement from skar. I even broke the 3rd one in on 75watts for 8hrs on a 40hz tone, no dice , was junk two days later , seems they don't keep the coil cool enough .

36 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

Unfortunately every time one cooked , it was an install for a customer so I had to replace sub out of pocket bc they weren't going to wait on replacement from skar. I even broke the 3rd one in on 75watts for 8hrs on a 40hz tone, no dice , was junk two days later , seems they don't keep the coil cool enough .

So, I have a friend that bought 2 Skar 12's, but got the 4 ohm instead of the 2 ohm dvc's. He wanted to run 2 amps. He bought the Skars off Amazon. He contacted Amazon about his screw up and they sent him brand new ones super quick and told him keep the 4 ohm DVC's 🤣 moral of the story is, Amazon's return policy is insane🤣

P.s. he smoked them and decided he'd go with a different brand

6 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, I have a friend that bought 2 Skar 12's, but got the 4 ohm instead of the 2 ohm dvc's. He wanted to run 2 amps. He bought the Skars off Amazon. He contacted Amazon about his screw up and they sent him brand new ones super quick and told him keep the 4 ohm DVC's 🤣 moral of the story is, Amazon's return policy is insane🤣

P.s. he smoked them and decided he'd go with a different brand

Yeah that's nuts, but shows ya how over priced they sell stuff for since they r willing to just give a set away basically. Amazon probably paying something crazy like $20 a woofer or something bc they buying in bulk. I have a rp800.1 in my girls yukon and it seems solid so I'm not really biased about their amps. My sister has a complete skar setupin her 370z nismo, the mids nd highs sound horrible, they bottom out badly even in the 100hz range and a single 12 she now has had upgraded to the evl and it sounds ok. A decent shop installed and designed everything , I feel port area is too small but she likes it and has been banging it for like 18 months with minimal issues so they make sum good stuff, kinda seems hit or miss tho. She's in Florida and I'm in upper mi or I'd have don't an install that would have blown her mind, last time we met up, she was completely blown away by my sq 8s lol.

47 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

Yeah that's nuts, but shows ya how over priced they sell stuff for since they r willing to just give a set away basically. Amazon probably paying something crazy like $20 a woofer or something bc they buying in bulk. I have a rp800.1 in my girls yukon and it seems solid so I'm not really biased about their amps. My sister has a complete skar setupin her 370z nismo, the mids nd highs sound horrible, they bottom out badly even in the 100hz range and a single 12 she now has had upgraded to the evl and it sounds ok. A decent shop installed and designed everything , I feel port area is too small but she likes it and has been banging it for like 18 months with minimal issues so they make sum good stuff, kinda seems hit or miss tho. She's in Florida and I'm in upper mi or I'd have don't an install that would have blown her mind, last time we met up, she was completely blown away by my sq 8s lol.

I've always noticed that people say they're happy with the install... the box is fine....I like the sound.... that is until someone actually builds them a new box or sound deadens the door and puts a decent set of drivers in there, or even replaces that crappy boss amp with one that will actually do rated. Then they're blown away by the difference. But they will tell you until they're blue in the face that they're system is legit🤣

I tell people, 99% of the time in car audio, you get what you pay for. There's no magic unicorn that you'd get a quality product that will last and do what it says it'll do that just happens to be hundreds of dollars less expensive than similar equipment. It just doesn't work that way

1 minute ago, Dafaseles said:

I've always noticed that people say they're happy with the install... the box is fine....I like the sound.... that is until someone actually builds them a new box or sound deadens the door and puts a decent set of drivers in there, or even replaces that crappy boss amp with one that will actually do rated. Then they're blown away by the difference. But they will tell you until they're blue in the face that they're system is legit🤣

I tell people, 99% of the time in car audio, you get what you pay for. There's no magic unicorn that you'd get a quality product that will last and do what it says it'll do that just happens to be hundreds of dollars less expensive than similar equipment. It just doesn't work that way

Oh yeah,I converted my buddy to nothing but custom built boxes , he's been buying prefab boxes till he heard my 4 8s , he was so blown away he begged me to sell em.he still beats em nd no one can believe they r 8s ...u can hear him coming from a LONG way away , he's got them in his 98 yukon on the same 3k I had em on. He just bought my 15s and wants a box built for those in his LeSabre. Next will be sound deadening cause the 15s gonna kill his trunk, they have destroyed my truck dash actually broke and floats free now bc of em.

2 hours ago, ehall8702 said:

Oh yeah,I converted my buddy to nothing but custom built boxes , he's been buying prefab boxes till he heard my 4 8s , he was so blown away he begged me to sell em.he still beats em nd no one can believe they r 8s ...u can hear him coming from a LONG way away , he's got them in his 98 yukon on the same 3k I had em on. He just bought my 15s and wants a box built for those in his LeSabre. Next will be sound deadening cause the 15s gonna kill his trunk, they have destroyed my truck dash actually broke and floats free now bc of em.

That's the best when your system starts breaking things lol. I'm trying to be at that point

Archived