Sundown Audio

Noise or distortion

Taxed1

Hello all. I was setting my gains using the cheap O-Scope method. I do own a DD1+ & a CC1. I was interested in seeing the actual sine wave so that’s why I got the cheapO scope. My amp is an SFB 2000. While tweaking the gain you can see those fingers at the top of the wave. Is that noise or distortion? Picture #3. I was not clipping yet. I was just below the clipping light on the amp. I’ve read some post that you can set the gains on these SFBs using the clip light but without actually seeing the wave, look at what you could possibly be sending to your subs. I settled with the 55 volts picture by the way. This was set while using a -7.5dB 40Hz tone. 

On another note, the cheapo scope shows 55.16 volts but my Fluke TrueRMS  volt meter reports 52.20 volts. Either way 52.20 volts = 2725 watts out of an SFB 2000!!!!????? The square root of 2725 = 52.20 volts, is my math right? Also, what about the oscope showing 55.16 volts of unclipped signal. That’s over 3000 watts right? I believe the Fluke more but still.

AB934526-A920-4670-9FBB-1DA867A6E258.jpeg

87CDF4F0-F10C-47D5-8771-DEAA97C4FC09.jpeg

1AB186E5-88F7-44B4-84AA-CEA498F6B743.jpeg

8D43E281-2C4A-47B9-B5D6-A8B15432209F.jpeg

9EA39B8D-D22C-461E-B981-F1315B86F2EF.jpeg

no math isn't right but ehh need to add the phase with the math.. look at Tony Damores video explaining it ... waves looking like that could just be the oscope you did say it was cheap... is the dd1 distortion light on with that setting?

2 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

no math isn't right but ehh need to add the phase with the math.. look at Tony Damores video explaining it ... waves looking like that could just be the oscope you did say it was cheap... is the dd1 distortion light on with that setting?

Thanks for the reply. Yes,  today I used the DD1+ and while showing the fingers on the o scope the DD1+ does not report distortion. The DD1+ is actually in sync with the amp’s clip light. They both light up together with this particular amp. I see those fingers on the wave just before the clip light & the distortion light on the amp & DD1+.

Do you think maybe because it's a full bridge mono block, that maybe that's just noise making its way onto the graph? Some people say they're absolution fine, but I've heard some people say the full bridge amps tend to be a little noisy. I don't know if that's true or not. Just something I've seen people say about them. Though no one has ever gone out of their way to prove it that I know of

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived