Choosing the right 6.5 and tweets

Jeremy009

Hey guys, hope all is well. Let me give the background information first. Upgrading my door speakers, i got a single 12" 500rms sub in the back,its tuned to 33hz and my head unit is an alpine 172bt and i want to do my midrange/highs in stereo,the amp i got outputs 125rms@4 ohm x 4. Am between 2 choices,brace yourselves, this might get lengthy.
Option 1- a set of components, i would like to cover the balance of the spectrum through something somewhat easy to install, however i heard the components don't really get that loud.
Option 2- a pro audio 6.5 and a tweeter. Am thinking but i can be wrong, could this be ran like a component if i ran it in parallel? If the tweeter for example,the kicker cs tweeter,it comes with a crossover on the wire, if i ran it in parallel with the 6.5, what would be the final ohm load?
Also, the build is not sq nor spl and its on a budget. Am thinking if i go with option 2, the timpano slim 6.5(100rms @4ohm, sen 94db,range 95-6500hz)may be my choise of speaker but what do i look for in a tweeter to make it blend in well with the 6.5 in that way of wiring? I also want to consider beaming for the 6.5 and getting loud, clean sound with realistic highs that are not harsh also safe for my equipment.

Option 3- same pro audio 6.5, a tweeter. Use 2 channels on the amp for mid range and the other 2 channel for the tweeters
Am not sure if any of this makes sense,but any advice is appreciated also any recommendations of 6.5s and tweeters that suits my application

What amp are you using so I can look at what controls you have on it? 

I've had components with passive crossovers get loud, and with 500 watts going to your sub, I don't think it's necessarily a have to get tons of volume issue, more like a good set to blend with my sub issue. As far as what I've owned, my Memphis VIV components set was by far the best sounding component set I've ever owned. 

When picking out speakers for midrange, look at the FS. The lower the FS, the lower hz it can handle which usually equates to be considered better for SQ. Also, look at the frequency range (of you can see a graph, that's even better, but just numbers works fine). That will tell you what is the range for that speaker before you might damage it for playing to low, or when beaming might start to occur. Make sure the high number will mix well with whatever frequency range the tweeter is good for. 

You can run them in parallel assuming they're the same impedance and you had bass blockers on the tweeters, but I still wouldn't recommend it. 

Once I know what amp you're using, I can give a little more insight 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

36 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

What amp are you using so I can look at what controls you have on it? 

I've had components with passive crossovers get loud, and with 500 watts going to your sub, I don't think it's necessarily a have to get tons of volume issue, more like a good set to blend with my sub issue. As far as what I've owned, my Memphis VIV components set was by far the best sounding component set I've ever owned. 

When picking out speakers for midrange, look at the FS. The lower the FS, the lower hz it can handle which usually equates to be considered better for SQ. Also, look at the frequency range (of you can see a graph, that's even better, but just numbers works fine). That will tell you what is the range for that speaker before you might damage it for playing to low, or when beaming might start to occur. Make sure the high number will mix well with whatever frequency range the tweeter is good for. 

You can run them in parallel assuming they're the same impedance and you had bass blockers on the tweeters, but I still wouldn't recommend it. 

Once I know what amp you're using, I can give a little more insight 

For the mids an highs,i got an eleketra 100.4. For the bass i got a rs 12" wired to 2ohm on a eleketra 1200.1 seeing 600rms at 2ohm. The alpine deck crossover only goes up to 200hz for the HPF, therefore ill need a crossover on my tweets.

Ok, with that in mind,what is the better bet to keep up with the sub? A component set or the pro audio with tweeter?

Bear in mind,on a budget

1 hour ago, Jeremy009 said:

For the mids an highs,i got an eleketra 100.4. For the bass i got a rs 12" wired to 2ohm on a eleketra 1200.1 seeing 600rms at 2ohm. The alpine deck crossover only goes up to 200hz for the HPF, therefore ill need a crossover on my tweets.

Ok, with that in mind,what is the better bet to keep up with the sub? A component set or the pro audio with tweeter?

Bear in mind,on a budget

It looks like on that amp, on channels 1&2, you can have either a high pass or low pass, or full, on channels 3&4, high pass or full only. Though it's hard to set those crossovers right where you need them without specialty tools like the CC-1. 

Unless you're going to run a DSP, I'd recommend a component set that has a passive crossover. To run those pro audio 6.5's, and not have them start beaming or get damaged playing too low, you need to set a bandpass crossover (something like setting your HPF at 80 hz and your LPF at 4000 hz). The Cresendo C2000.4D that I have for my build is the only one I could find that I could do that with. Most people just use a DSP. With that amp, if you just find some name brand components that can handle at our over 100 watts RMS, you should be golden. 

Unless you can do a bandpass filter through your deck. In that case, then yeah, bass blockers will work for the tweets in a pro audio setup. If you can, get an in line crossover made by the same company as your tweets. It helps. 

My two cents, if just buy components, passive crossover, and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

It looks like on that amp, on channels 1&2, you can have either a high pass or low pass, or full, on channels 3&4, high pass or full only. Though it's hard to set those crossovers right where you need them without specialty tools like the CC-1. 

Unless you're going to run a DSP, I'd recommend a component set that has a passive crossover. To run those pro audio 6.5's, and not have them start beaming or get damaged playing too low, you need to set a bandpass crossover (something like setting your HPF at 80 hz and your LPF at 4000 hz). The Cresendo C2000.4D that I have for my build is the only one I could find that I could do that with. Most people just use a DSP. With that amp, if you just find some name brand components that can handle at our over 100 watts RMS, you should be golden. 

Unless you can do a bandpass filter through your deck. In that case, then yeah, bass blockers will work for the tweets in a pro audio setup. If you can, get an in line crossover made by the same company as your tweets. It helps. 

My two cents, if just buy components, passive crossover, and call it a day. 

I think ill go down the components road. Whats your opinion on the kicker css.

6.5 components? Am seeing 100rms and am getting them for a very good price where am from. Would that give me what i want in terms of sq and blending in good with that bass? 

I don't know your listening preferences, so I can't tell you if they'll sound good to you. I can tell you kickers reputation is for getting loud and lasting forever. With those components, I don't think you'll have to worry about your subwoofer overpowering your mids and highs. If you're on a budget, and you can get those for a good price, I would do it

22 hours ago, Jeremy009 said:

Whats your opinion on the kicker css.

6.5 components? 

I installed some kicker cs coax (all 4 doors) connected to a kicker key 4 channel and was impressed. I was doing a budget build for somebody, I've done builds with ks and cs, bang for buck I really like what you get from the cs's.

13 hours ago, CorNut said:

I installed some kicker cs coax (all 4 doors) connected to a kicker key 4 channel and was impressed. I was doing a budget build for somebody, I've done builds with ks and cs, bang for buck I really like what you get from the cs's.

Nice,its settled then. Kicker cs it is

Archived