Sonic Electronix

Hey everyone, first post here and I have a question. So I currently have 2x670 gti (150rms) speakers and 2 deaf bonce M67AN (300rms) speakers. They're running off a jp234 amp which puts out 234 watts at 4 ohms or 334 watts at 2 ohms (2 ohm stable). Here's my question, I want to add 4 more speakers total, or 2 per door. I was going to buy another amp, but someone is telling me that the amp I have is strong enough already because of ohm ratings. Two 4-ohm subs in parallel would be a 2 ohm load. However, the guy told me that I don't add the rms together. In my head, I would need an amp that can power 600rms per channel at 2 ohms for what I'm doing. He says that the RMS doesn't double with more speakers. If I had 10 speakers wired to 2 ohms, they could all still run off that one channel as its 334@2ohm rating doesn't divide even if multiple speakers are plugged into it. Can someone explain how or why this works? 

First, it's usually not a good idea to run subwoofers of a 4 channel amp. The crossover filters usually don't work how you need them to, not to mention the amplifier usually won't be proficient in the kind of power and low end demand a subwoofer amplifier can deliver. 

So, here's how this works. You have a 4 channel amp (let's make it simple) that at 4 ohm delivers 100 watts per channel at 4 ohm. Not total, per channel. Total at 4 ohm would be 400 watts. You have 4 speakers total. Each one wired to its own channel. Now, you want to add a second speaker per channel. This fictitious amplifier will do 200 watts per channel at 2 ohm, 800 watts total. You go out and buy 4 more 4 ohm speakers (is important that you only wire speakers together in parallel or series with the same voice coil impedance), you wire them together for a final 2 ohm load per channel. So two speakers per channel with a final impedance of 2 ohm per channel. The watts per channel will then split between the 2 speakers and each should see about 100 watts a piece. 200 watts per channel total. 

Does that answer your question? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

4 hours ago, Grantimoto said:

Yeah that answers my question. So I need another amp to run the speakers

You don't necessarily need another amp. Yeah, those DB speakers can handle 300 watts a piece, but you don't have to give them that. I think if you just add the 4 new speakers, drop to a 2 ohm load per channel like you're talking about, it'll be plenty loud. My only suggestion would be to pair the DB M67AN's with more DB M67AM's and those 670 GTI's with the same speaker as well. Then everything is matching and you won't have speakers fighting each other for power on their respective channels. (Trust me, without getting into too much detail, it matters). 

I say hook it up and see what it sounds like. If you still feel you need more, then totally grab another amp. But you may be surprised at the output. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived