Sonic Electronix

Starting a new build in my 2018 Toyota Camry se. I want your thoughts on this build. 

I just bought a crescendo bc-4K. To start. 

next buy is for the subs looking to go for 2 sundown 12’s x v2 D4.

next is the box, I was looking at a duel 12  gatley 5.5 cu. not sure if it will fit in my car. I don’t have proper tools to build a custom one, but the box is about 700$. If you think I can get something better for the price or same please link. 

big three will be added before new alt.

atlternator is next. Not sure the amp but most likely a 240a. 

I will be running skyhigh 1/0 witch is about 125$ for the amp kit. 

mids and highs will come shortly after. Just running stock for now but I don’t expect to be going full tilt until after I upgrade the electrical. And second amp. 

im in the process of this this build nothing is going to come fast just saving money and getting everything slowly together. I do want to get hooked up and have a little bass started before all the upgrades, to get the itch off my shoulders. I don’t expect going full tilt just yet.

I want to use the stock HU. But if necessary I will upgrade. I just like the stock one. Not sure if it will be ok or not..?

so any ideas or opinions? Open to constructive criticism. I do like the sundown 12 x so I think that will be my choice. I know they can handle a lot lot more power than the 4K, that will be something to upgrade later I’m just trying to get on my feet for now. Thanks community!  

So nobody ever likes to hear it, but my biggest suggestion would be to upgrade your alternator, batteries, big 3 and a grip of OFC cable before trying to drop a 4k amp into a car with stock electrical.

With that out of the way, Sundowns are great, but there are other options out there.  Fi comes to mind, but I know they have had to dial manufacturing back pretty hard due to the state of the world, but there are quite a few people here that have nothing but great things to say about them.

As for the Gately box, they are definitely quality.  I would make sure the box fits your ride (you may be able to reach out them and ask?) and then pick your subs based on the box volume and port tuning as that will give you the best results.

$700 is high for a box, but those boxes are stack-fabbed out of Baltic Birch (which is ridiculously expensive right now) and every inch of their enclosures scream quality.

You could build a custom box designed for your subs if you had access to the tools and the time to build it for less than that, but it's probably going to be hard to find someone that will build a custom box that's in the same league as a Gately box for less than that.

As for the stock HU, there may be something like a PAC or NavTV or Maestro plug and play solution that gets you clean and flat pre-amp level outputs.  You'll just have to poke around on the internet (or call a shop) and see what options are out there.

If that's not an option, you can go the LOC or DSP route.  If you go with a Line Output Converter - get something like an Audio Control LC6i.  If you go the DSP route, there are a ton of options out there and it will give you a lot of functionality.

Hope this helps and can't wait to hear how things go as you work on the build.

✌️

No you are exactly right about the electrical. I  was just trying to buy the most expensive things first, amp/subs and get everything hooked up, and not play at high volumes until I get the proper electrical. With that being said I will be calling audio shops around to see what they charge for the converters or what not.  Or how they will go about the process. Nothing is hooked up yet.  I’m just on a budget and want to get the most expensive stuff out of the way first. With a little motivational bump for the time being. The alternator will cost around 400$ and that is the least compared to the amp and subs+ box. I will look into the converters you’ve listed I greatly appreciate your comment. 

If you're going to use the stock head unit, don't cheap it on the LOC! I can't stress that enough. I've read too many stories about people going cheap on their line out converters and then not being happy because of.... well, many different reasons. 

And like my man @Arthur79was saying, you'll need a big alternator and probably 3 AGM batteries for 4k. That's a lot, so you'll need a lot of power. Our you can go lithium. With the right alternator, you can just throw 1 lithium battery in the trunk and be good. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Two Sundown X-12's vs. stock speakers?! LMAO. Those poor things will be like the younger me saying, "Mom, mom, mommy, watch!" then nothing spectacular happens. Meanwhile in the competition lanes, Sundown is hot sex on a platter.

I like the build ideas so far. Don't forget The Epicenter as you get further down the road You'll want some bass in everything you listen to eventually. I wish someone mentioned this to me sooner.

At least you have a typical car and can find harness adapters for the radio! Should be a fun build. Take your time and enjoy it!

Archived