Sundown Audio

AMP FOR 2 SUNDOWN AUDIO X15V2 DUAL 2 OHM SUBS

Mattc43

Hey guys I am new to this forum and I am looking for a good amp to push my two sundown x15v2 dual 2 ohm subs. I am thinking about getting one big amp to keep things simpler instead of running one amp to each sub. I want to get the Taramps Smart 5k since it'll do 5,000watts at 2ohms. Then I can give each sub 2,500 watts which is 1000watts over the rated rms because I have heard that sundown subs will take much more than they are rated for. I also want to take care of my subs though and I hope that is not too much to where it would shorten their lifespan. If that is true then the Taramps smart 3k would be perfect for me and cheaper. I am on a budget guys FYI. Is my thinking right? Go with the 5k or 3k?

Yes, the higher end Sundown subs, in my opinion, are over built and can handle more than RMS, and yes, in some cases can handle over 1000 watts above their rated power. That being said, it has to be done 100% correctly for it to be safe for the subs. 

If you're going to use the 5k, the number one most important thing is to make sure your electrical can handle it. 5k watts is nothing to sneeze at. You need to upgrade your alternator, and batteries. At least, AT LEAST, 3 high amp hour (ah) AGM's or 1 big 'ol Lithium. 

Also, you need an enclosure designed or built for those specific subs and that amount of power. You can't just slap those subs in a pre fab box and put 1000 watts over RMS to those subs. They won't perform right, usually causing a build up of heat around the voice coils, which will cause them to fail. 

Also, you need to set the gains correctly. With that amount of power, any type of clipping will kill those subs quick, though if I'm not mistaken, those amplifiers have built in clip light on the bass knob. I suggest you use it, and pay attention to it. 

Last, get a volt meter. The SMD VM-1 is the best, but even a cheap Stinger volt meter is better than nothing. If you're voltage is dropping down into the low 11's, you need more electrical. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Yes, the higher end Sundown subs, in my opinion, are over built and can handle more than RMS, and yes, in some cases can handle over 1000 watts above their rated power. That being said, it has to be done 100% correctly for it to be safe for the subs. 

If you're going to use the 5k, the number one most important thing is to make sure your electrical can handle it. 5k watts is nothing to sneeze at. You need to upgrade your alternator, and batteries. At least, AT LEAST, 3 high amp hour (ah) AGM's or 1 big 'ol Lithium. 

Also, you need an enclosure designed or built for those specific subs and that amount of power. You can't just slap those subs in a pre fab box and put 1000 watts over RMS to those subs. They won't perform right, usually causing a build up of heat around the voice coils, which will cause them to fail. 

Also, you need to set the gains correctly. With that amount of power, any type of clipping will kill those subs quick, though if I'm not mistaken, those amplifiers have built in clip light on the bass knob. I suggest you use it, and pay attention to it. 

Last, get a volt meter. The SMD VM-1 is the best, but even a cheap Stinger volt meter is better than nothing. If you're voltage is dropping down into the low 11's, you need more electrical. 

Thanks for the reply!! I already have a big 3 upgrade kit comin in and plan on upgrading my alternator as well as additional batteries like you said. I think one big lithium would be awesome. What would you recommend battery wise if I were to go with a lithium?? Think it is worth it to push them hard or just stick to rated RMS? Because I'd prefer not to blow these two subs I just spent so much on lol.  I do build my own custom boxes as well!! I am confident I can build a good box for it

1 hour ago, Mattc43 said:

Thanks for the reply!! I already have a big 3 upgrade kit comin in and plan on upgrading my alternator as well as additional batteries like you said. I think one big lithium would be awesome. What would you recommend battery wise if I were to go with a lithium?? Think it is worth it to push them hard or just stick to rated RMS? Because I'd prefer not to blow these two subs I just spent so much on lol.  I do build my own custom boxes as well!! I am confident I can build a good box for it

As long as you're careful, and pay attention to what the subs, amp, and electrical are doing, you can use the 5k. Maybe just tune it using a 0 db test tone to stay on the safe side. Every now and again, put the back of your hand on the dust cap to see if it's hot. Check the amp, see if it's getting hot. Just be aware of what's going on. If you do that for a while, and everything seems to be working well with no issues, you're golden. Subs getting a little hot sometimes, dial the gain back a little and see how the subs like that. 

30 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

As long as you're careful, and pay attention to what the subs, amp, and electrical are doing, you can use the 5k. Maybe just tune it using a 0 db test tone to stay on the safe side. Every now and again, put the back of your hand on the dust cap to see if it's hot. Check the amp, see if it's getting hot. Just be aware of what's going on. If you do that for a while, and everything seems to be working well with no issues, you're golden. Subs getting a little hot sometimes, dial the gain back a little and see how the subs like that. 

Awesome, thanks man. So I'm assuming going with the biggest amp you can is your best bet? I'd imagine having an amp sit on its ass instead of being pushed to the max all the time is definitely more efficient 🧐

3 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Awesome, thanks man. So I'm assuming going with the biggest amp you can is your best bet? I'd imagine having an amp sit on its ass instead of being pushed to the max all the time is definitely more efficient 🧐

A lot of the time, not having your gain turned up all the way to clipping can aid in sound quality as well. 

If a person just absolutely doesn't know what their doing, or what they might need to look out for, or says something like "I won't turn the gain all the way up", I'll usually tell them to just go with the recommended RMS. Those are the people who are just going to destroy their equipment. But if someone has a pretty good idea what their doing, it's OK to go a little higher than RMS.

You also have to account for impedance rise as well. At 2 ohm, that 5k will still see over 4 ohm at times, so the subs won't be seeing way over their RMS most of the time anyway

11 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

A lot of the time, not having your gain turned up all the way to clipping can aid in sound quality as well. 

If a person just absolutely doesn't know what their doing, or what they might need to look out for, or says something like "I won't turn the gain all the way up", I'll usually tell them to just go with the recommended RMS. Those are the people who are just going to destroy their equipment. But if someone has a pretty good idea what their doing, it's OK to go a little higher than RMS.

You also have to account for impedance rise as well. At 2 ohm, that 5k will still see over 4 ohm at times, so the subs won't be seeing way over their RMS most of the time anyway

Ok as of lately I have had my gain turned up only about a quarter of the way and then I use the bass setting on my head unit depending on each song and from there I can adjust my bass by listening for distortion and it seems to work really well. My dustcap will only get somewhat warm after playing multiple rebassed songs in a row full tilt. I don't even know what impedance rise is! I just assumed it would stay around 2 ohms the entire time lol. In my next system how would I go about getting optimal bass in each song?? By adjusting my head unit like that? There will be songs where I can turn my bass all the way up and it sounds great but then there will be songs I'll get that VRRRR distortion sound from my sub and I have to turn down the bass. So this is where the bass knob comes into play, correct? I have a bass knob for my amp that it came with and I don't even use it 😅

9 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Ok as of lately I have had my gain turned up only about a quarter of the way and then I use the bass setting on my head unit depending on each song and from there I can adjust my bass by listening for distortion and it seems to work really well. My dustcap will only get somewhat warm after playing multiple rebassed songs in a row full tilt. I don't even know what impedance rise is! I just assumed it would stay around 2 ohms the entire time lol. In my next system how would I go about getting optimal bass in each song?? By adjusting my head unit like that? There will be songs where I can turn my bass all the way up and it sounds great but then there will be songs I'll get that VRRRR distortion sound from my sub and I have to turn down the bass. So this is where the bass knob comes into play, correct? I have a bass knob for my amp that it came with and I don't even use it 😅

Oh shit.... looks like we have to start from the beginning.... you up for learning a lot before you start? Everyone has to learn at some point. Just depends on how deep off a car audio nut you want to be

3 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Oh shit.... looks like we have to start from the beginning.... you up for learning a lot before you start? Everyone has to learn at some point. Just depends on how deep off a car audio nut you want to be

Yep I am a noob to all of this and I am not ashamed (installed my first sub this spring and installed the 12 I have now early this summer around may). Oh I know haha. I would like to have subs in my car for the rest of my life and it would be nice to have a wall build one day. Not into competing or that high frequency burp bullshit people do. I like it for music and I love bass. You're saying you'd like to teach me huh? No need to but I would appreciate some advice. I have already taught myself a few things off the internet and talking to other guys that are into car audio

10 minutes ago, Mattc43 said:

Yep I am a noob to all of this and I am not ashamed (installed my first sub this spring and installed the 12 I have now early this summer around may). Oh I know haha. I would like to have subs in my car for the rest of my life and it would be nice to have a wall build one day. Not into competing or that high frequency burp bullshit people do. I like it for music and I love bass. You're saying you'd like to teach me huh? No need to but I would appreciate some advice. I have already taught myself a few things off the internet and talking to other guys that are into car audio

I'm not trying to be rude bro. But, I could be wrong, but what it sounds like is you don't know how to set your gains properly. There's nothing to be ashamed of at all. And I hope I don't come off as rude or condescending. That's not my goal at all. I just want you to have a loud system and for it to be safe for you and the equipment. And for you to wow your friends with the car audio knowledge 

Archived