Jump to content

2018 golf R - upgrading "Premium" fender audio system


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, BboyTaktix said:

Small update - got the grilles I ordered and I really am liking the honeycomb pattern. They are metal. Also ordered magnets and going to use them to attach the grill to the upper beauty panel.

 

Here is a photo of the grilles sitting on the subs plus their thickness (pretty thin) - really excited for how it is going to look.

 

I need to work on my upstairs unit again this weekend - new kitchen is almost done LOL need to put the countertop and new sink and a very small amount of painting left. I will try to take some time on Sunday to finish up at least the first beauty panel. Maybe even the second.

 

I also need to shorten the power and ground wires to the small pioneer amp on the left (as you can see from photo below)

 

 I had to make my own baseplate for my new router in order for the giant 60-degree bevel bit to fit hahaha sometimes you just have to 'MacGyver' that shit.

 

img_1131-jpeg.322531

 

 

img_1132-jpeg.322532

 

Those look good! Can't wait to see it all done! 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Been a month or so but I was really caught up in finishing renovations in one of our rental units - that was finished and even got it up on the market and rented out within 2 weeks - one more thing off my shoulders!

 

 

Anyways, finished up both beauty panels finally and installed. 

 

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Audio equipment

 

 

 

White Automotive design Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gas

 

 

Table Rectangle Grey Wood Automotive tire

 

 

Wood Flooring Musical instrument Engineering Automotive tire

 

 

 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp ([email protected])

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now, I can safely say I dislike soldering. Especially when it is OEM style tiny pins.

 

I was unsuccessful in soldering my speaker wires to the OEM amplifier plug, and so I gave up and just went back to my 'temporary' solution which is now a permanent solution. It isn't pretty, but it is functional and solid.

 

The main issue I had with the soldering of my wires to the OEM plug was that the solder did not want to stick well to the OEM plug pins, and as I heated the pin and wire to get solder on them, the plastic of OEM plug began to heat up and the OEM pins would get loose and out-of-line. I concluded that it just was not worth it.

 

A better solution would be to just solder on some VERY small female spade terminals to all my speaker wires, and then plug those onto the back pins of the OEM plug, then just plug into the original amp harness as planned, but I did not have female terminals that small (in fact I think it would be hard to find) and I just don't have more time to spend on something that works fine already. So I simply put it back how it was before, and zip tied everything down, then put the OEM plastic amp cover back on top of it all.

 

Here are some photos - I started with confidence and removed all pins from the harness that I did not need;

 

 

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Circuit component Electronic device Cable

 

 

Circuit component Finger Automotive design Gadget Computer hardware

 

 

Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

 

 

 

 

 

 

I even jiggled the wires around and ensured that nothing would come loose when hitting the notoriously gigantic potholes of our run-down city. Although it hurts my eyes visually, I know it is secure.

 

 

 

I would LOVE to get larger door speakers for more midbass (move to a 7-inch instead of current 5.25) but then I feel I would also need a wideband to fill the middle frequencies (250-5000 ish Hz) and while I'm doing that might as well aim tweeters (and then begins the ascent into darkness...) so for now I will enjoy the WAY-BETTER-THAN-STOCK system and eventually upgrade one thing at a time. If I knew a shop here who did real nice work on A-pillar pods, I would probably get that done next year and put a nice mid and tweet, then upgrade the mid-bass, but as of right now I don't have much confidence in any shops to do the work to my expectations (especially assuming the price they would charge).

 

 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp ([email protected])

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got some time to work on the final trunk beauty panel and finished up the STEALTH look - didn't have the same carpet so ended up using some old carpet I had, matches like 80% and hurts my OCD but it is perfectly fine for me, given my current time constraints (Baby incoming any day now!!!)

 

The main point is...I can use my car exactly as I did before the system now. I can throw supplies from home depot for my renos, throw baby strollers back there, etc. without worrying about damaging any of the equipment.

 

Definitely would love to get some time to do more tuning - I want to add a tune where I put the microphone in the center of the two front seats, for "general listening" with friends in the car, then one other tune as a "demo" mode for passenger (place microphone in passenger seat) so that imaging would be perfect for passenger when I want to give a demo of the system without changing seats.

That all requires time though, so we will see if I get to it. 85% of the time I will be alone in the car and so I'm glad I have somewhat of a decent tune for my own listening.

 

 

Here's the top beauty panel in place after I routered it all out from 1/2-inch MDF:

 

Grille Hood Light Automotive lighting Car

 

 

Originally, I planned to put some supports on each of the back corners to hold it in place/keep it firm from bending even if some weight was on it. However, this was complicated as I would have to figure out how to secure it o the piece AND then wrap the whole piece, or wrap first then secure cleanly later.

 

Finally I decided, the easiest thing to do, is let it rest on the top of the Zapco DSP with a piece of closed cell foam I had left over from the build. The DSP doesn't really generate heat, and the foam protects it - the piece is already quite rigid too so I am not worried long-term.

 

 

Here is the piece after I wrapped it. I am by no means perfect at wrapping panels yet, but I think it looks pretty pleasing to the eye;

 

 

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Grey Rectangle

 

 

Rectangle Grey Flooring Asphalt Floor

 

 

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Gas

 

 

Hood Wood Automotive design Automotive tire Floor

 

 

Blue Table Textile Gas Audio equipment

 

 

Here is the back of the panel, including closed cell foam I installed for protection plus suppoort on the DSP;

 

Brown Rectangle Beige Wood Font

 

 

And finally, what we have all been waiting for...the FINAL product - Stealth mode!

 

 

Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

 

 

You can't tell from the photo due to poor lighting, but in daylight (outside) the two different carpet shades are relatively evident. Oh well, it fits my needs and at this point I kind of ran out of time, just happy I was able to get all of my tasks done and the car is useable again :D I can always re-wrap the upper piece eventually, but realistically the next time I touch a car audio system will be when I rip this one out to prepare to sell/trade in the car for the next beast :p

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp ([email protected])

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BboyTaktix said:

Got some time to work on the final trunk beauty panel and finished up the STEALTH look - didn't have the same carpet so ended up using some old carpet I had, matches like 80% and hurts my OCD but it is perfectly fine for me, given my current time constraints (Baby incoming any day now!!!)

 

The main point is...I can use my car exactly as I did before the system now. I can throw supplies from home depot for my renos, throw baby strollers back there, etc. without worrying about damaging any of the equipment.

 

Definitely would love to get some time to do more tuning - I want to add a tune where I put the microphone in the center of the two front seats, for "general listening" with friends in the car, then one other tune as a "demo" mode for passenger (place microphone in passenger seat) so that imaging would be perfect for passenger when I want to give a demo of the system without changing seats.

That all requires time though, so we will see if I get to it. 85% of the time I will be alone in the car and so I'm glad I have somewhat of a decent tune for my own listening.

 

 

Here's the top beauty panel in place after I routered it all out from 1/2-inch MDF:

 

Grille Hood Light Automotive lighting Car

 

 

Originally, I planned to put some supports on each of the back corners to hold it in place/keep it firm from bending even if some weight was on it. However, this was complicated as I would have to figure out how to secure it o the piece AND then wrap the whole piece, or wrap first then secure cleanly later.

 

Finally I decided, the easiest thing to do, is let it rest on the top of the Zapco DSP with a piece of closed cell foam I had left over from the build. The DSP doesn't really generate heat, and the foam protects it - the piece is already quite rigid too so I am not worried long-term.

 

 

Here is the piece after I wrapped it. I am by no means perfect at wrapping panels yet, but I think it looks pretty pleasing to the eye;

 

 

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Grey Rectangle

 

 

Rectangle Grey Flooring Asphalt Floor

 

 

Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Gas

 

 

Hood Wood Automotive design Automotive tire Floor

 

 

Blue Table Textile Gas Audio equipment

 

 

Here is the back of the panel, including closed cell foam I installed for protection plus suppoort on the DSP;

 

Brown Rectangle Beige Wood Font

 

 

And finally, what we have all been waiting for...the FINAL product - Stealth mode!

 

 

Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

 

 

You can't tell from the photo due to poor lighting, but in daylight (outside) the two different carpet shades are relatively evident. Oh well, it fits my needs and at this point I kind of ran out of time, just happy I was able to get all of my tasks done and the car is useable again :D I can always re-wrap the upper piece eventually, but realistically the next time I touch a car audio system will be when I rip this one out to prepare to sell/trade in the car for the next beast :p

Looks good! It came out very nice and functional. Great work! 

And CONGRATS ON THE BABY! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2022 at 9:48 PM, Dafaseles said:

Looks good! It came out very nice and functional. Great work! 

And CONGRATS ON THE BABY! 

 

thank you sir!

 

If anything the build has been a great learning experience. I think I'll enjoy it for a while until I get the itch to upgrade something (perhaps larger front door woofers first  HMMM :D)  and/or change cars and begin a NEW build. 

 

The baby will be a totally NEW adventure I am sure :D

  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp ([email protected])

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BboyTaktix said:

 

thank you sir!

 

If anything the build has been a great learning experience. I think I'll enjoy it for a while until I get the itch to upgrade something (perhaps larger front door woofers first  HMMM :D)  and/or change cars and begin a NEW build. 

 

The baby will be a totally NEW adventure I am sure :D

There's always that itch lol. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

There's always that itch lol. 

ALWAYS! lol - we are car audio NUTS!

 

Watching PSSound on Youtube does NOT help the cause either hahaha

 

Will post again if I can get another tune or two in and give my impressions. 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

 

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp ([email protected])

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...